Bckupexe file "openwith" destination got changed

Questions and Answers that relate to the [CS] Version of POS Pizza
Papa-Enrico

Bckupexe file "openwith" destination got changed

Post by Papa-Enrico »

Hi Scot
i backup my data base every night and save it to my computer. An employee went into where i keep them and changed the destination folder...(changed what program to use to open file). How do I select the backup exe. program to open the backup file?
Thanks John
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bckupexe file "openwith" destination got changed

Post by Scott »

I'm not sure what you are referring to. There is no backup.exe in the POS system. When you backup or restore a file, you are presented with a standard file selection box that allows you to chose the location.

If you have associated a file extension with some other program then you can usually change that by right clicking on the file and selecting "open with" and choosing the default behavior for that file type.

Scott
Papa-Enrico

Post by Papa-Enrico »

sorry i know its hard to explain....he changed the "open with" part...When I right click on the file and click on open with, the options are:
intrnet explorer, main pos module, notepad, wordpad...there is one that says More options but not Default. After selecting choose another App, it takes me to the file manage section
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Changing that requires editing the Windows Registry. I would not advise doing this unless, you are very comfortable working with the Windows Registry. You may need to have a computer tech fix that issue for you.

The backup files type (in Windows) doesn't matter to the POS anyway. You shouldn't be double-clicking those files anyway. You should instead open the backups from within the POS, so the Windows file associations settings won't have any effect on it.

If in the [CS] version, go to the server and run the Database Server Admin Tool. Stop the server. Click Backup/Restore Data and do your backup. Once the backup completes, start the server and exit the tool.

If in a non-[CS] version ([LT] or [SA]) close the POS module, and launch the Management Utility directly from the desktop. Select "Maintenance" on the toolbar, then Backup/Restore Database. Do your backup from here.

Scott
Papa-Enrico

Post by Papa-Enrico »

That's what I was worried about, if the POS would not be able to open the backup file in windows if the 'Open with' was different then the default. If it doesn't matter then I will just continue. Thanks, stay safe