Upgrading to v6?

General Information about POS Pizza 6 and 7
naalo

Upgrading to v6?

Post by naalo »

My version 5 license is going to need updating again, and I am finally considering upgrading to version 6.

1. Is there a complete list of feature enhancements or changes since v5 that is published on your website? I can't seem to locate this, can you provide an link?

2. Is the online ordering difficult to setup? What am I looking to get it up and running?

3. Can the pages on the online ordering be easily changed to my own graphics and whatnot? How hard is it to do this? How would you go about changing that?

4. Finally, is the upgrade process difficult? Will I lose any data from version 5?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading to v6?

Post by Scott »

naalo wrote:My version 5 license is going to need updating again, and I am finally considering upgrading to version 6.
  1. Is there a complete list of feature enhancements or changes since v5 that is published on your website? I can't seem to locate this, can you provide an link?
  2. Is the online ordering difficult to setup? What am I looking to get it up and running?
  3. Can the pages on the online ordering be easily changed to my own graphics and whatnot? How hard is it to do this? How would you go about changing that?
  4. Finally, is the upgrade process difficult? Will I lose any data from version 5?
You can find an overview of the upgrade process here: http://forums.summitcn.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1064
  1. Yes, install POS Pizza 6 (any version) and then go to the C:\POSPizza6\LT (or SA or CS) folder and open the file Whats New.txt, it is a complete changelog for each new version or update of POS Pizza.
  2. Generally if the PC that you are installing it on, is on the same local network as the database server, then you can do the following.
    1. Go into the control panel on the PC you are planning on installing to, and set the IP address manually (static). This allows other computers (and your router) to always find the ordering server.
    2. Install the online ordering package on the computer.
    3. Test locally and make needed changes to menu items, so that they are easy to understand by your customers.
    4. If you want to change the look and feel of the website, modify any graphics, CSS, and HTML files as required. This is an optional step.
    5. Create a PORT FORWARD in your router so that Port 80(TCP) requests are redirected to the order server PC's IP address (set above manually).
    6. Test connecting to the ordering server from outside of the store to verify that the port forward is working.
    If you are not familiar with routers, and TCP/IP I would suggest getting some outside help on this one. This is one of the more complex things in the POS system to set up. Remember you are trying to make your server visible from the internet, and that takes a little setup. Outbound access to the internet is easy, but inbound takes some specific settings to be in place in order for it to function properly.

Also in order to modify the HTML/CSS layout you should be experienced with modifying or creating web pages.
  3. Yes, see item 2-d above
  4. Not difficult at all, see the link I provided above. The PDF file gives you a great guide to the process. It really isn't bad at all. You can even do a dry test run using the free LT version if you'd like. The upgrade process does not touch your version 5 data, so version 5 will continue to function normally while you test version 6.
Scott
naalo

Re: Upgrading to v6?

Post by naalo »

Thanks. I will try a mock run on the free version. I am pretty sure that I did this once before a long time ago but I don't really recall.