Program crashes

General Information about POS Pizza 8
Papa-Enrico

Program crashes

Post by Papa-Enrico »

Hi Scott
I have the Cs version, with 2 all in one systems all setup and ben running for a couple of months. I have the main computer (the sever) with the cash register and a tablet where the phones are for phone orders as the client. My problem that encounter is sometimes the client (tablet) kicks us out of the pizzapos program while we are in the middle of an order. The client is through wifi network. What could be the reason for the crashes?
John
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Program crashes

Post by Scott »

If the WiFi drops intermittently, the system could drop out to the desktop, but if it's a crash (unexpected stop with an error message from Windows) then there's likely some other thing going on causing the problem.

A corrupted record in the customer or item database could be the cause in such a case. If a corrupted record is the cause you should notice it happening with the same customer or same item regularly. In such a case, delete the bad record and then add it again and that should fix the issue. WiFi drops can also contribute to corrupt records if it happens during a write operation.

Scott
Mstominator

Post by Mstominator »

I was just going to ask about "crashes" as well. We have 3 terminals. Hardwired network.

The program closes out when submit is selected or when trying to cash a ticket out.
The cc information is sent to the Heartland terminal, so we get paid - but......the ticket in the system is not closed and no tip can be added.

Many times this would happen a day or two before a large Windows update and the issue would subside.
However, it's happening with more frequency now and I am concerned.

Any help would be appreciated!!
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

1. Try reinstalling the heartland integration module, if it's only crashing at that time.

2. You could have corruption in your database file. Exit the POS, dirver dispatch, make-lines on all stations and then make a backup of your database. Next run the management utility directly from the desktop of one of the stations (from server station is best). Go to the "Maintenance" page, and then select "DB Maintenance Tool". Mark the following options;
  1. Purge Time Clock Data - Older than 730 days
  2. Purge Order History - Older than 730 days
  3. Purge Caller ID Log - Older than 365 days
  4. Purge Order Edit Log - Older than 365 days
  5. Purge Inventory Add Count Log - Older than 180 days
  6. Purge Previous Dine-In Reservations
  7. Purge PCI Security Data - Older than 180 days
Click the "Process Selected" button, and wait for the process to complete. Could take anywhere from a couple of minutes to close to an hour depending on the speed of your computer, amount of memory, speed of storage device, and number of records.

Doing #2 will get rid of old records, then shrink the database file, and rebuild all of the indexes. This can fix a lot of data file related issues. You can also use shorter time periods if you don't need to retain as much of your data. 730 days is 2 years, so using that would keep everything that happened within the past 2 years, and get rid of everything else. Customer total orders, total spent will not be effected by this. Only the ability to go back and look at the exact (2 year old or older) order will be.

You can always keep your backup file around, should you need to look at the data that is older than 2 years. You can look at this data by restoring it into the free version (best option), or into your main POS system (not recommended) if needed.

Remember to always do a backup before doing any major changes to your database file! You should be backing up regularly as well, backing once a week at a minimum.

Scott
Mstominator

Post by Mstominator »

Fabulous!

Thank you for all of the valueable info!

I'll try #2.

I'll report back only if it doesn't do the trick.

Thanks again!