Screen jumpy and having to click button more than once

General Information about POS Pizza 6 and 7
Hometown Pizzeria

Screen jumpy and having to click button more than once

Post by Hometown Pizzeria »

Scott,

We are now running win7 64 bit on all computers and we still get jumping or flickering screens as we go back and forth within the software. We also see on the two main tower systems we have to select some things more than once to get a response. The system is just not smooth, if you select a report the window with a drop down might open and might take a couple clicks before opening. We have a Tera bit drive and 8gb memory running at 2.6 and a brand new invidia 1gb card so this server should be screaming smooth but it is not. Looking for your thoughts. The same type of issues show on any of the other computers when using the server data. We have to click on things more than once to get them to open or sometimes one click and the new screen just pops open smooth but overall I would say 65-75% of the time the screen jumps or nothing happens and you have to reclick the button again or a drop down will pop open then close and you have to click it again to open the drop down.

Thank you,
Keith
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Screen jumpy and having to click button more than once

Post by Scott »

Wow, you are having the worst luck. This program was developed on 64-bit Windows 7 and I have never seen this happen either.

Install and run the [LT] version and see if the same thing happens. If so it is a graphics issue. If not then it could be a data issue between the client and the server. If the data is moving extremely slow lags could take place similar to what you describe. We need to figure out which issue you are seeing first. By installing the LT version on one of these computers we can determine whether or not it is a graphics issue since it uses the exact same graphics as all of the other versions. The data in LT however is local so it should be very fast in all cases.

Scott
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Another thing comes to mind. Maybe something on that system or those systems you have is taking the focus away from POS Pizza. Focus is the term describing which window is the one that is the current target of the keyboard and mouse. Toggle the disable topmost property for POS Pizza. In other words, if it's ON turn it OFF, and if it's OFF turn it ON. See if this changes the behavior that you're experiencing. If so, then you need to track down what is grabbing the focus away from the POS system. This would be another app running in the foreground (desktop) or in the background (system tray) on your system.

It sort of sounds like this if you have to click the buttons more than once. The first click would bring the app (POS Pizza) back into focus, and then the 2nd click would perform the desired action.

Try typing on the keyboard when sitting at the main screen. If you have touch mode enabled, disabled it temporarily. Type in numbers.... do they appear in the customer phone field? Wait a minute and type a few more. Do all of the typed digits make it in? If something grabs the focus away, then that something will receive the keyboard input instead of POS Pizza.

Scott
Hometown Pizzeria

Post by Hometown Pizzeria »

Thank You Scott for the help on this. The final result was a bad install of Windows 7 using a Asus board with a XP configuration, I did not know the main mother boards could be configured for different windows operating systems. We reinstalled Win 7 and grabbed the Asus control panel and setup the board for Win 7 and all issues were gone.

Keith
durbancic
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by durbancic »

Scott,

I see Keith solved his problem, but I wanted to mention something here since it is related. Ever since the most recent release of the POS, if the management utility is launched from the POS a warning box pops up telling you that changes may not go into effect for 10 minutes. This is a good idea to have this box, but the box takes focus away from the management utility, making it almost impossible to use the drop down menus and look at reports unless you click immediately on the selection that you want.

Dan
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

durbancic wrote:Scott,

I see Keith solved his problem, but I wanted to mention something here since it is related. Ever since the most recent release of the POS, if the management utility is launched from the POS a warning box pops up telling you that changes may not go into effect for 10 minutes. This is a good idea to have this box, but the box takes focus away from the management utility, making it almost impossible to use the drop down menus and look at reports unless you click immediately on the selection that you want.

Dan
So you're getting that box before you quit the management utility?? That box is supposed to show after you close the management utility. Am I understanding this correctly? I can operate the menus just fine and can leave them open for extended time periods and still click them. Also my box opens at the end of the session after completely exiting the management utility. I am wondering why you are getting the box during since it isn't even in the code until the exit code after the main blue window closes.

How often does this happen? Can you detail the steps taken to make it happen? Also what is the topmost status of the main POS window?

Thanks,

Scott
durbancic
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by durbancic »

Anytime management utility is launched from the main pos this happens. The box has not opened up yet (if you move management util around), but the focus is taken away from the management utility window and selections have to be made very quickly in order to select what you want. Disable topmost property is selected (checked off) in main pos module setup.

Dan
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

durbancic wrote:Anytime management utility is launched from the main pos this happens. The box has not opened up yet (if you move management util around), but the focus is taken away from the management utility window and selections have to be made very quickly in order to select what you want. Disable topmost property is selected (checked off) in main pos module setup.

Dan

I still can't get it to happen here. I've had disable topmost checked for awhile and that is how I last tested it. For kicks, I re-enabled it and tried again, but it still works fine here. Does this happen for any other windows that open on top of the main POS? Try reprint receipt. If you highlight one of the items does the highlight stay in blue, or does it go to gray (not in focus but highlighted)?

Does this happen on all of your machines?

I'm just trying to get some kind of way to narrow this down to some condition or combination of apps causing this.

Scott