Scan taking a long time

Information and help with the Hard Disk Scrubber

Scan taking a long time

Post by Newbie »

I am running Disk Scrub for the first time. I started by clicking “Scrub Free Space” as recommended, and the system went into “Writing” mode. When the status reached 99%, the status window changed to “Block Shift 1,” and the “disk free” changed to 29,xxx,xxx. It is taking a very long time to count down from there! After three days the “disk free” has decreased to 21,740,xxx. At this rate it will take a week to complete the scan! In a reply you made to david123 on September 16 (who had asked “how long is a typical scrub”), you said “it should not take more than another 5 to15 minutes.”

The “temp” files appear to be intact. There are 130 files showing in the “SCRUBWRK” folder; the first is dated Jan. 15 at 9:13pm and the last is Jan. 16 at 12:32am, so does that mean that the initial “Writing” part took a little more than three hours to complete?

I was tempted to “Exit” the program (as you advised david123), but I don’t want to go back to square one after already running the scrub for three days. David123 had an 8GB hard drive, and my computer’s is 80GB (if that matters).

I am running other programs during the day, because I can’t afford to be without the use of my computer. I think that the only program running overnight is MaAffee virus scan, but I have no idea what else is running in the background.

Thank you very much for your time and advice!
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

>21,740,xxx

That is the problem. You have 27 Megabytes left to clear, and some other program was using that space so the scrubber dropped down to single byte writes. This will take a very very very long time to complete. I would recommend running the scrubber on a weekend or overnight when nothing else is running that will be writing to the disk. Also clear your temp folder prior to running the scrub.

Scott