Gift Card not cashing out

Questions and Answers that relate to the [CS] Version of POS Pizza
Papa-Enrico

Gift Card not cashing out

Post by Papa-Enrico »

Sorry Scott. I have a problem cashing out Gift cards now. All cards are in Database and working. Customer purchased a card and when I tried to use it to pay for her Order it does nothing. Screen comes up for me to swipe card. When i go into Giftcard status, it shows it has $25 on it. What did I do?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gift Card not cashing out

Post by Scott »

Is that mag card reader configured in keyboard wedge mode?

Test it by opening notepad (in Windows) and then clicking in the text area, and then swipe a card. You should get a single line of text beginning with a % symbol.

If that works, then you have another issue. Do other gift cards work or is it only the one?

Scott
Papa-Enrico

Post by Papa-Enrico »

Yes Mag reader works fine, used it before on here. I think I figured out what I need to do. When going to Payment type screen, Select Giftcard box (which I did before)...but then I have to swipe card inside the Authorization Code Box. (don't remember doing that before). Then the screen pops up asking for us to swipe card again for final transaction. Did we always have to swipe in the Authorization box or did I activate something?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Papa-Enrico wrote:but then I have to swipe card inside the Authorization Code Box.
No, that's not where you swipe the card.
Then the screen pops up asking for us to swipe card again for final transaction. Did we always have to swipe in the Authorization box or did I activate something?
You have always had to swipe the gift card after the payment type is selected on a "swipe card now" screen.

Nothing should be put into the authorization field. This field (for all payment types) is only if you are processing cards externally (not integrated with the POS).

Scott
Papa-Enrico

Post by Papa-Enrico »

I didn't think we swiped in that box before. I swiped in NotePad and it works, I also tried with another card and same thing happens. We can activate card but when someone tries to cash it out it won't let it swipe when Swipe Box pops up in Payment Type. So, any other thoughts or should I call tech?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

When you swipe into notepad, do you get a single line of text or multiple lines? It needs to be on a single line. If it is multiple lines, then reconfigure the reader by changing the delimit character to a question mark ( ? ). This is done through the software that configures the mag-card reader.

Scott
Papa-Enrico

Post by Papa-Enrico »

Yes it is on 1 line in Note pad
%B6010564296645310^PAPAEN-GFTCRD^31184113?;6010564296645310=31184113?

The cards are verified, They scan when we sell them...but won't let us cash them out when customers use them
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I have no idea why they would work for activate and verify, but not for a sale. I've never heard of that happening before since all 3 of those conditions all use the same exact scan method.

Give me a call on Monday, and I can help you try to figure out what is wrong.

Scott
Papa-Enrico

Post by Papa-Enrico »

I deleted all the gift cards and re-did them but this time with a serial number as well as stripe. When we sell car we can swipe it...But Now when we cash out card we put in serial number and it works.

Next question is... When I add New cards, do I need to follow ALL the steps as before (dummy card etc), or just Add new ones to Add New Cards in Bulk section?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You shouldn't need the dummy card if you are going to continue from where you left off. If you are using an entirely new range of numbers, then enter a dummy card. After the cards are bulk added, you can remove the dummy card from the database.

Scott
Papa-Enrico

Post by Papa-Enrico »

I did delete the dummy card after I finished, but Yes I am continuing where I left off (next number in sequence).
Thank you very much for all you do for us Scott!