POS app locks up...

General Seup or Installation Help
GeoDaddy

POS app locks up...

Post by GeoDaddy »

Installing the POS software on one server and executing it on one client, I find that the system - occasionally - locks up the machines i.e. you can;t even execute a three-finger-salute to get out of the application and have to reboot the machine.

This - may - be because I have been interactively going back and forth between the Management Utility and POS Order Module - defining Menu Items/Toppins and trying to get them come out correctly on the Order screen... so that may be the culprit.

But I - hope - that rebooting the system won't be an issue during a typical work day, once the Menu is stabalized???

g
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

This is not a problem that we have seen anywhere else. There must be some other problem with your computers, serial ports network or something because this is not something that we have seen happening in the past. Many of our customers have run the POS for months on end without a single reboot. We usually recommend rebooting Windows at least every 2 days due to the memory leaks that are inherent with the OS. But you should definitely take a look at the machines, since this is not a normal issue.

Scott
Mike
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Mike »

If you are running Windows XP with different service packs, this sometimes happens with networked clients. Make sure that all XP machines are running SP2.

-Mike
joshwho
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: POS app locks up...

Post by joshwho »

GeoDaddy wrote:Installing the POS software on one server and executing it on one client, I find that the system - occasionally - locks up the machines i.e. you can;t even execute a three-finger-salute to get out of the application and have to reboot the machine.

This - may - be because I have been interactively going back and forth between the Management Utility and POS Order Module - defining Menu Items/Toppins and trying to get them come out correctly on the Order screen... so that may be the culprit.

But I - hope - that rebooting the system won't be an issue during a typical work day, once the Menu is stabalized???

g
I use to have the same problem. every time there was 2 orders being took or some one was in the management mod. it would lock up the whole system. We was using the buffalo link station server for pos pizza and it kept locking up. Our solution was to use a real server. We are running the main pos pizza and all features like x-charge caller id, kprint, ordc32, and label printing all off the Server and we never had a problem since. The os for the server is Windows Server 2000. It works like a charm.

Im not saying this is a solution for all problems but it is a good solution for networking the pos system.

P.S. Most of our nodes are using XP sp1 only 2 machines use XP sp2.
biondes

PC locking

Post by biondes »

where O/S are you running.

I am running Vista (Home version) and I have this same issue at least once a week. I have yet to find the problem.
Ben
joshwho
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by joshwho »

I am using Windows Xp Pro SP2. The Server is running Windows Advanced Server 2000 It works great but i think there is still a bug some where with the order taking console. It seems when your in the middle of taking a order and it takes longer than a minute before you cash the order it will Say Error writing to Disk.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

joshwho wrote:I am using Windows Xp Pro SP2. The Server is running Windows Advanced Server 2000 It works great but i think there is still a bug some where with the order taking console. It seems when your in the middle of taking a order and it takes longer than a minute before you cash the order it will Say Error writing to Disk.
If that were true, we would have found such a bug a long time ago, since I'm sure that many people enter part of an order then get sidetracked and then continue longer than a minute later. I just added some items to an order and waited 5 minutes here, no problems at all.

As I told you in your other posting, you more than likely have a record corruption in one of your files. Otherwise the message may not even be from POS Pizza, since POS Pizza always returns an error number when it has a problem writing to a data file.

Scott
edembek

Post by edembek »

Do you guys shut your computers down each night or just let them run continually? Windows needs a reboot at least every few days. One of our stores was just letting it run, and was beginning to have odd problems, but now they reboot daily, and the problems seemed to have gone.
Ed Dembek
joshwho
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by joshwho »

edembek wrote:Do you guys shut your computers down each night or just let them run continually? Windows needs a reboot at least every few days. One of our stores was just letting it run, and was beginning to have odd problems, but now they reboot daily, and the problems seemed to have gone.
I reboot then every night that way they have a fresh start every day
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by H-Man »

joshwho wrote:I am using Windows Xp Pro SP2. The Server is running Windows Advanced Server 2000 It works great but i think there is still a bug some where with the order taking console. It seems when your in the middle of taking a order and it takes longer than a minute before you cash the order it will Say Error writing to Disk.
Did you get this problem resolved yet? Did you figure out what was happening?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

H-Man wrote:Did you get this problem resolved yet? Did you figure out what was happening?
Yes this issue is resolved as noted here on the message boards.

-Scott