Heartland Credit Cards

Discussions about current add-on packages for POS Pizza
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Heartland Credit Cards

Post by synpse »

What is the Order of Operation for each of these scenarios?

1. Delivery Order, Keyed Entry.
Place order, Payment for order, Key in Info *?*, Print ticket, Take Credit Card Slip to people, Have them sign it. ?

2. Dine-In Customer, at table.
Have them walk up to the counter and use the EMV Chip Card, and they enter their Debit PIN number?
Credit Card (not a Debit/Chip card) Employee takes card, puts it in reader, prints slip, they sign slip *?* Or do they come sign the PIN Pad?

3. Dine-In Table-side device payment.
I'm guessing you didn't have "fancy sit down restaurant" in mind for POS Pizza. PAX has a wireless terminal that would be nice to use at the table, for the guests, when it's busy. But, it doesn't look like this is something the majority of POS Pizza customers would have use for.

4. Signatures.
Electronic Capture, or the old Paper Copy receipt? I'm not exactly sure on the PAX S300, which I keep trying to write as PAX $300. I see X-Charge had a lot of features we were completely unaware about, and i'm sure Edge Pay was HAPPY to keep it that way. Such as, Debit PIN pad, Electronic Signature Capture pad, ACH check clearing. Et Cetra.

5. AVS & AVS2 & CVV
We WANT to keep the AVS stuff on, to save $% on processing fees. Who DOESN'T want to save money?!
Currently, we have been using the ZIP CODE field for a simple "Delivery Fee" amount, instead of getting all technical with the Zone Editor. What a hassle that is.

Any chance of getting a field in the customer account for "Delivery Fee" where we just put a NUMBER in there, simply. (I'll post it in the Wish List)

6. SIDE NOTE. If you are more of a full service RESTAURANT, than a PIZZA place, Make sure your Industry Code is correct with your Credit Card Payment Processors. It can easily save 0.3% right away!

Ok, that's all I've got for now. My head is full of Interchange Rate Tables and per-swipe fees and padding rates. oh my.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Heartland Credit Cards

Post by Scott »

synpse wrote:What is the Order of Operation for each of these scenarios?

Place order, Payment for order, Key in Info *?*, Print ticket, Take Credit Card Slip to people, Have them sign it. ?
The best way would be to let the driver console print the credit card slip for the customer to sign. It will print the needed credit card slips when the driver checks out their orders for the run. This requires that a slip printer is attached or networked to the driver's station.
Have them walk up to the counter and use the EMV Chip Card, and they enter their Debit PIN number?
Credit Card (not a Debit/Chip card) Employee takes card, puts it in reader, prints slip, they sign slip *?* Or do they come sign the PIN Pad?
I think if it is a chip card, they may need to go to the terminal themselves because chip/pin cards are coming..... Some are supposedly already in circulation, but as of next March, these should be the norm.

I would print a ticket (regular register receipt), and then have the dine-in customers as they are exiting go to the register to pay. This would make everything work one way, rather than different ways depending on payment type. I'm sure newer technology will show up to support this situation better at some point.
I'm guessing you didn't have "fancy sit down restaurant" in mind for POS Pizza. PAX has a wireless terminal that would be nice to use at the table, for the guests, when it's busy. But, it doesn't look like this is something the majority of POS Pizza customers would have use for.
I'm not sure if that device would work for POS Pizza. We certified with the S300, so I can't say if the units are similar enough to be interchanged. Heartland should be able to comment on this. We will surely develop support for this type of unit in the future, if the demand for it is high enough. Right now though, v7 is the priority so payment processing upgrades won't happen until after v7.
4. Signatures.
Electronic Capture, or the old Paper Copy receipt? I'm not exactly sure on the PAX S300, which I keep trying to write as PAX $300. I see X-Charge had a lot of features we were completely unaware about, and i'm sure Edge Pay was HAPPY to keep it that way. Such as, Debit PIN pad, Electronic Signature Capture pad, ACH check clearing. Et Cetra.
PIN Cards won't require a signature. This is the way things are headed. Signature would only be required when the customer writes in a tip after the fact. In this case, the good old paper slip is still king.
5. AVS & AVS2 & CVV
We WANT to keep the AVS stuff on, to save $% on processing fees. Who DOESN'T want to save money?!
Currently, we have been using the ZIP CODE field for a simple "Delivery Fee" amount, instead of getting all technical with the Zone Editor. What a hassle that is.

Any chance of getting a field in the customer account for "Delivery Fee" where we just put a NUMBER in there, simply. (I'll post it in the Wish List)
Yes, that would be the best place for it. I don't think that would be a big deal to add this. Maybe any non-zero value in this field overrides the delivery zone rules.

Scott
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Scott wrote:
synpse wrote:What is the Order of Operation for each of these scenarios?

The best way would be to let the driver console print the credit card slip for the customer to sign. It will print the needed credit card slips when the driver checks out their orders for the run. This requires that a slip printer is attached or networked to the driver's station.

--- We don't use the Drivers Console until the end of shift, when the driver does out their delivery bag. Not on a Per-order basis. So, "Time out" and "Time In" are meaningless for us, by doing shift bags. Therefore, card slips are printed with the original order ticket. Ah! The issue here was that Cards MUST be keyed into the PIN Pad, and NOT the computer, like it used to be done with X-Charge. This keeps with the PCI Complience and the "out of scope" solution.

**NOTE: I got all my questions answered, so I'm answering here so everyone else can simply read & learn from my research **
I think if it is a chip card, they may need to go to the terminal themselves because chip/pin cards are coming..... Some are supposedly already in circulation, but as of next March, these should be the norm.

I would print a ticket (regular register receipt), and then have the dine-in customers as they are exiting go to the register to pay. This would make everything work one way, rather than different ways depending on payment type. I'm sure newer technology will show up to support this situation better at some point.

--- After speaking with Charles, If the wait staff were to bring the card up for payment, and the customer signs at their table, then the best rate for that card would be used. Debit cards run at a MUCH LOWER RATE than being "run as credit". This is why banks will encourage customers to have their Debit card "run as credit" for rewards n points n higher processing fees on OUR side. EMV Chip cards started Oct 2015, and goes into full swing sometime in 2017. We are all playing ketchup (catch up!) to the changes.
I'm not sure if that device would work for POS Pizza. We certified with the S300, so I can't say if the units are similar enough to be interchanged. Heartland should be able to comment on this. We will surely develop support for this type of unit in the future, if the demand for it is high enough. Right now though, v7 is the priority so payment processing upgrades won't happen until after v7.

--My answer to my previous question makes this a non-issue. If it doesn't cost more, I don't need Bigger & Better Solutions. No worries! But hey.. those little appetizer menu things at Applebee's are a neat upseller! I wonder how many people made 6-figures in R&D for S&M (Sales & Marketing)
4. Signatures.
PIN Cards won't require a signature. This is the way things are headed. Signature would only be required when the customer writes in a tip after the fact. In this case, the good old paper slip is still king.

--Dang. We've got BOXES full of these. At what point does it become a "fire hazard"? I was wondering if X-Charge could do electronic signature capturing. But.. I'm just not worried any longer. We are switching in less than a week.
5. AVS & AVS2 & CVV

Yes, that would be the best place for it. I don't think that would be a big deal to add this. Maybe any non-zero value in this field overrides the delivery zone rules.

--OH PLEASE DO THIS!! We have stupid work arounds for account delivery fees. Make a simple little tool, or code module, to "Verify Current Rates", or "Set on New Accounts Only", or something well thought out. But just having a simple numeric field for each account would be stellar. Then, if the account has a specific amount, it ignores the Zones. If it's new, it pulls from the Zones. If you update zone rates, then things would stay the same. I would have really loved this 5 years ago.

Scott

--Mark's text prefaced like this.
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Mis-read the reply about PIN cards. As in, if the customer is at the table, it appears they will have to come up to the counter to enter their PIN. We've only had 1 card like this, and it was a Capital One Debit PIN card with Chip.

D'oh! Gonna have to re-think this setup. or work on some solution.

But I'm not doing anything until Tuesday. Just leaving a note for myself for later.
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Pmt not processed:
ADDRESS INVALID

Got this error again today, this time at the other store.

This is getting to be a critical error! Logically, even if the AVS or AVS2 FAILS, we STILL want the credit card TO WORK! It should work (if valid and everything else is ok) without any address informaiton from the POS Pizza customer account being sent to the terminal.

Steps.
1. Delivery Order, customer account.
2. Payment Method CREDIT
3. ERROR MESSAGE

They probably have a POBox mailing address, and live somewhere like 1234 BLOOMSTER HOLLOW as their delivery address. So, the whole AVS thing isn't as much fun when we don't have legit streets/towns/box numbers out here in the "PA Wilds" of the national forest area.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Heartland handles the PAX programming. Call their level 2 support, and they should be able to make the changes that you want. This same kind of thing was an issue with a local customer here, and they corrected it quickly, and he has had no problems since.

Scott
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Their customer service is excellent! A live person answers the phone, and the situation is handled quickly.

We've ironed out a lot of the issues and "speed bumps" that have been popping up, and getting our setup customized the way that works best. As I'm doing this, I'm also writing the "HOW TO" guide, printing out the page of instructions, and putting them in a 3 ring binder, for quick reference and employee training.

There are lots of changes going on with the EMV Chip cards, and so many different bank requirements for different cards.
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Scott,

We're still getting these "INVALID ADDRESS" errors periodically. The hot-fix is to move the HOUSE NUMBER into the Address Line 2 field, then it's OK.

On the "Logic" of the Add-on code, between the POS and the PAX Terminal, It would make sense to not have "If fail, ALL STOP" errors. Even moreso with Customer Info, like their Zip Code and Address. We are manually keying in the card number, so the POS should not try to send this data, anyways. It has no advantage (for how we are using it), only an error that makes it not work.

Same with using 1 digit for the Postal_Code field, as well. That should not stop the software from working & accepting the payment.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The House Number field is not even sent. POS Pizza only sends the street and post/zip code fields, and doesn't stop or even care what is in those fields. They are simply passed along to the PAX terminal, and its current programming/firmware settings decides what will be done with that data.

Scott
soular

Post by soular »

[quote="synpse"]Scott,

'We are manually keying in the card number'...

We are still using our old card reader and processor at our carryout window because we cannot figure out how to manually key in a card number on the PAX terminal for Heartland. I spoke to support and was told to contact Summit about this. I was in the config for the terminal and thought I found it, but can't figure out how to get it to prompt for manual entry.

If you have this information, we would greatly appreciate if you could share it here.

Thanks!
Kevin
Soular Pizza Grill
Waterloo, WI
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Hi Kevin,

When the terminal shows on the screen "Insert / Swipe Card", just type in the card number on the numeric keypad. As soon as you start typing the display should show an input field and followup with expiration date and CVV.

Scott