Caller ID Problems

Discussions about current add-on packages for POS Pizza
Hometown Pizzeria

Caller ID Problems

Post by Hometown Pizzeria »

I purchased a whozz calling POS 2 unit and it is a serial model. I installed the software from summit and know it is functioning but when a call comes in the number is not making it through properly. I have checked the ports and know it is on serial port #5 based on the whozz calling diagnostic software and it shows the proper information in their software like 234-456-7797, yet in the POS 6 screen it will show like @17:37:04 Call in from 15-486-1377 or like this one @20:43:08 Call in from 5-408-5998
I have missing numbers rather than the complete 10 digit number.

I also have one other question the POS we had been running when a call came in it would open the customers order screen automatically if the number was in the database and if not it would open the new customer screen with the phone number pre populated in the screen phone field. We have not gotten that far with POS 6 and was wondering can we expect the same thing or do we manually have to select the line we are going to answer first then answer the call.

Thanks,
Keith
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Caller ID Problems

Post by H-Man »

The caller ID will pull up an existing account if it is there. If your numbers aren't getting into the system correctly, then that explains why it is trying to add new customers. It thinks they are different since the system stores everything by telephone number.

You do have to choose which line you are answering and double click that line to begin an order. It doesn't just begin the order by itself because that would be really annoying if I were in the middle of one order and another one automatically started or I was at one station and the order started on a different one. I guess automatically starting the order when a call comes in would be good if you were running a single station setup, but other than that it would be a pain. Double clicking the number to start the process is not a big deal after all. We usually use the auto-refresh and leave the call list open and just begin the order from there.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Make sure that *if* you have flow control enabled that it is NOT XON/XOFF (software based) flow control. The preferred type of flow control should be RTS/CTS (hardware based) flow control or NONE in the case of a caller ID unit. Check your serial board (or adapter)'s settings in Windows and verify that it is setup with either no flow control or hardware flow control. You should also activate FIFO buffer's if it is supported.

The problem you describe very much sounds like a flow / buffering problem.

Try a different serial port also if you continue having problems with your current port. The serial caller ID unit can be hooked up to any computer in the network with a serial port.

Scott
Hometown Pizzeria

Scott,

I have checked and rechecked the items you asked about and everything is set correctly. The front of the whozzcalling unit has 4 dip switches on it #1 is N/C it is currently OFF #2 is Baud Rate it is OFF #3 is Format it is OFF #4 is CID Signal it is OFF. Remember we had the problem with the server having to use the IP address, I placed that in the database server setting and CS version is selected, the whozzcalling is connected to Port #4 on the server computer. The Config/Caller ID Server is configured on port #4 with the port set yo bits per second = 9600, Databits = 8, Parity = NONE, Stop Bits = 1, Flow control = NONE & under advanced settings FIFO is checked = ON, Recieve Buffer = 14, Transmit Buffer = 16. I now get no calls showing up on the Main POS module if I click on the center button both lines just show "Waiting" line #1 & 2 even though the phone lines are receiving calls. I downloaded the whozcalling trouble shooting software and viewed the same type of screen as your POS shows basically and it shows the calls coming in with quick response within 1-2 rings and it shows the phone number then name of called or number and cell if it is a cellphone caller. I am confused why POSPizza is not seeing any of these calls incoming. I had the whozzcalling server running tonight without the CS POSPizza running and out of about 90+ calls it only showed 14 calls logged in the call list database and about 50% of those were missing digits but when looking at the whozzcalling trouble shooting data logs it has all the caller numbers complete?

Another note I have tried it on two serial ports so far as well as one more serial port from second PC running remotely rather than on the main server PC, with same results.

Thoughts?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Do you have the Whozz Calling POS 4 line?

If so the software should be setup like this;

If you have the regular Whozz Calling 4 then use the button with the picture of the unit with a magnifying glass on it. This is the search button, and it should be able to find any full Whoz Calling units attached to any of the COM ports.

There isn't much that you can change for the serial communications end of things in this software, and if everything is as you say above it is default and absolutely should work. CallerID.com's test software uses the same exact method to talk to the unit as we do, so I am very unclear as to why theirs works flawlessly and ours can't see the unit. This doesn't make any sense, but verify the settings above and do the following.

On the database side of things the Database & Server Settings should be set to the server's IP and port. If your server was at the address 192.168.0.123 the database and server settings should be as follows;

Database Type: Remote [CS] Version

Server Name: 192.168.0.123:54181

Database Name: pospizza

Also try recycling everything;

Power off the CID unit. Reboot the PC and verify that the CID server started. Power the CID unit back on.

Scott
Hometown Pizzeria

If you have the regular Whozz Calling 4 then use the button with the picture of the unit with a magnifying glass on it. This is the search button, and it should be able to find any full Whoz Calling units attached to any of the COM ports.

We have the whozz Calling 2 POS

There isn't much that you can change for the serial communications end of things in this software, and if everything is as you say above it is default and absolutely should work. CallerID.com's test software uses the same exact method to talk to the unit as we do, so I am very unclear as to why theirs works flawlessly and ours can't see the unit. This doesn't make any sense, but verify the settings above and do the following.

On the database side of things the Database & Server Settings should be set to the server's IP and port. If your server was at the address 192.168.0.123 the database and server settings should be as follows;

Database Type: Remote [CS] Version

Server Name: 192.168.0.123:54181
This is different for I know our IP will be different but the :54181 was never added I must have missed that at some point in the docs.

Database Name: pospizza

What about server lisence # and what about IP address in the configure caller ID Server anything in there it is set to the 2,4 POS currently
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Hometown Pizzeria wrote:We have the whozz Calling 2 POS
Ok, you want to set the unit to the same one as pictured above. This would be the bottom selection called "Whozz Calling POS 2, 4".

This is different for I know our IP will be different but the :54181 was never added I must have missed that at some point in the docs.
It doesn't really have to be there if you're running on the default port, which I believe that you are.

What about server lisence # and what about IP address in the configure caller ID Server anything in there it is set to the 2,4 POS currently
The IP should be left at 0.0.0.0. That IP is only used for Ethernet models of the Whozz Calling units, and has no effect on the serial units.

Scott
Hometown Pizzeria

Scott,

Here is the Whozz Calling WC Toolbox program and you can see the calls are coming in fine from what I can see for each line looks like the data you would need. No dropped numbers and time looks good as well as ID.

01 1/ 1 2:51 PM 315-408-5998 WIRELESS CALLER
02 1/ 1 2:52 PM 315-232-3000 HOMETOWN PIZZER

Same Test using POSPIZZA

@14:34:40 Call in from 15-408-5998
@14:37:03 Call in from 5-408-5998

Then it would not release or update the lines the data remained in the main CS system showing the lines in use or atleast the data would not refresh. I then did a system reset and tried it again and got this the next time.

@15:05:22 Call in from 15-408-5998
01/01/2013 15:07 -
Here again it would not take any other calls I tried from the business phone multiple times on line #1 & #2 and this remained in the system and could not refresh to remove it.

Kinda lost on what is causing the caller ID to either not see anything or see something then never relase the data as new calls come in.

I asked about the dip switches in the front of the WC POS 2 if everything is in the off down position POSPIZZA never sees a call at all, if dip switch #1 is up in the ON then it sees a call or two then stops.

Thanks,
Keith
Hometown Pizzeria

Scott wrote:
Hometown Pizzeria wrote:We have the whozz Calling 2 POS
Ok, you want to set the unit to the same one as pictured above. This would be the bottom selection called "Whozz Calling POS 2, 4".

We are set to the WC POS 2,4
It doesn't really have to be there if you're running on the default port, which I believe that you are.

OK we are running on a default port of 4 or I have a 5 port also all setup identical, both ports give the same results.
The IP should be left at 0.0.0.0. That IP is only used for Ethernet models of the Whozz Calling units, and has no effect on the serial units.
The IP is set to all zeros.

Scott
Hometown Pizzeria

Scott,

Out of the last 45 calls this is what we had in the call log under the POS Pizza WC processing server log, valid phone ID and 3 missing the "3" and a -callerID what ever that was, so we logged 6 calls out of 45 the system had come through.

01/01/2013 15:26 -
-> Sever Started

@17:20:40 Call in from 15-405-5384
@18:24:40 Call in from 315-408-7263
@18:33:58 Call in from 315-232-2103
@18:34:57 Call in from -CallerID
@18:35:28 Call in from 15-523-4740
@19:29:05 Call in from 15-232-2149
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Go into the Caller ID server configuration and enable Output Raw Data to Text File and then start the processing. If you place some calls into the system you should get entries similar to what is shown below in a text file called WhozzRaw.txt. This file is located in the installation directory (usually C:\POSPizza6\Whozz).

Code: Select all

02 I S 0000 G A0 01/02 07:02 AM 724-779-6390   SUMMIT CMPTR NT
02 I S 0000 G A0 01/02 07:03 AM 724-779-6390   SUMMIT CMPTR NT
02 I S 0000 G A0 01/02 07:05 AM 724-779-6390   SUMMIT CMPTR NT
Can you see if your file output is in the exact same format as what is shown above? It sounds like the data coming in from the unit is getting corrupted somehow. This output is straight from the CID unit.

Scott
Hometown Pizzeria

Scott,

I purchased a serial to USB adapter today and bypassed the serial card even thought it was reading the whozz calling software side but having trouble with the POS Pizza. Running the new adapter to the serial/USB the call information is coming in ok now, had to be something with the serial card to the POS Pizza.

Thank You,
Keith
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I'm still guessing that it is a buffering problem with your other card. POS Pizza only polls the serial port about once every half second. I could picture a board that doesn't buffer data losing the data in between polls. Perhaps there is a jumper or setting somewhere on the other card. I guess it doesn't matter as long as you have it working now.

Scott