XCharge and lower than order total approvals

Discussions about current add-on packages for POS Pizza
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

XCharge and lower than order total approvals

Post by synpse »

We had this happen last night.. $18.02 order. The card gets run.. and comes back as "approved for $0.91" and the slip prints. Lucky for us, someone was paying attention when it happened.

Is this a usual occurrence? Or something I can change in the XCharge setup/settings? Or.. just.. what happened?!

I wasn't the one who installed the XCharge software the first time. So I'm playing a little bit of catch-up here to get things running smooth and proper. We want the full amount or a decline.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: XCharge and lower than order total approvals

Post by Scott »

Partial Authorizations are now mandatory under a new credit card law that went into effect in June 2011. There is nothing that can be changed in X-Charge as far as I know, because this is the law. See: http://forums.summitcn.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1156

On a partial Auth, the payment screen will remain open until either the cashier cancels it (then payment will be incomplete) or payment is received in full. Receipts printed for these orders will also show an amount due.

Scott
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

hahah.. uhmmm... what do i do about this?!

I know someone i'm NOT voting for next election..
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

synpse wrote:hahah.. uhmmm... what do i do about this?!

Believe me, we've had 3 major changes to credit card laws in the past 2 years. Before that it was all run by Visa's PABP Guidelines, and then the Govt decided to get involved and quite honestly not much changed security-wise, other than you now have to have annual approvals that cost big bucks and re apply anytime any changes are made to any part of the software, regardless of whether or not those changes even involve the credit handing/processing code.

The last change was for partial payments and the requirement to show balances on prepaid credit cards and gift cards.

This is probably a rare situation, but the cashiers should pay attention. If the payment window doesn't close, then look at the amount due on the lower left. I would guess that it would happen more often with a gift card or a prepaid credit card that is about to run out rather than a regular card. But quite frankly I think allowing someone to max out a regular credit card down to the penny is ridiculous.

Scott
durbancic
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by durbancic »

One thing that I have noticed when this happens, you can try to adjust the credit card - either through POS or XCharge itself to the full amount. I believe the system tries to approve it for more than the order amount in case someone tips. If there is not enough $ available it will approve for less. Then just try to edit it to be the correct amount. Worked for me last week.
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

yeah... this is still one heck of a headache. and then the waitress voided out the correct order!! which voided the correct payment thru xcharge. ugh *headache*

I never knew it was so easy to mess up everything.... lol
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Had this happen again yesterday with the Manager's card. I still don't know how exactly to explain this.. when they swear there is money on the card.

Also.. what's the difference in running as Debit or Credit card from XCharge/POS Pizza? PIN Pad needed? or not..

-Mark

Scott wrote:
synpse wrote:hahah.. uhmmm... what do i do about this?!

Believe me, we've had 3 major changes to credit card laws in the past 2 years. Before that it was all run by Visa's PABP Guidelines, and then the Govt decided to get involved and quite honestly not much changed security-wise, other than you now have to have annual approvals that cost big bucks and re apply anytime any changes are made to any part of the software, regardless of whether or not those changes even involve the credit handing/processing code.

The last change was for partial payments and the requirement to show balances on prepaid credit cards and gift cards.

This is probably a rare situation, but the cashiers should pay attention. If the payment window doesn't close, then look at the amount due on the lower left. I would guess that it would happen more often with a gift card or a prepaid credit card that is about to run out rather than a regular card. But quite frankly I think allowing someone to max out a regular credit card down to the penny is ridiculous.

Scott
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

synpse wrote:Had this happen again yesterday with the Manager's card. I still don't know how exactly to explain this.. when they swear there is money on the card.

Also.. what's the difference in running as Debit or Credit card from XCharge/POS Pizza? PIN Pad needed? or not..

-Mark
That would be on X-Charges end. They either do a full or partial approval, or decline the payment altogether.

If you use debit, you need to setup a pin pad. Also the rates may be slightly different than credit. You would need to contact X-Charge to find that out.

Scott