Open/Close Shift Problem

Questions and Answers that relate to the [CS] Version of POS Pizza 6 and 7
mrk90

Open/Close Shift Problem

Post by mrk90 »

We have run 2 tills for a over two and a half years now, and I have never seen this problem before:

Till2 was closed last night as per normal procedure. It was opened this morning just before noon. No error messages were received during the opening sequence. A single order was cashed out on Till2 an hour later - again with no errors. Shortly afterwards, I noticed that there was no entry for Till2 in the day's Drawer Close Report as seen from the management utility.

I tried to 'Close Shift' on Till2, and reopen. The POS module allowed me to do this, but still no entry showed in the Drawer Close Report. We repeated this a few time, with the same results. The Drawer Amt Editor showed the multiple 'Close' attempts for Till2, but none of the 'Open' attempts.

I rebooted the server, and the client, re-installed POSPizza on the client but the results were the same.

Finally I opened up 'orders_tbl' in the database and found the record for the original 'Open Shift' on Till2 had the same corrupt entry only in the 'order_date' & 'order_entry_date' fields: 'a Roma6017556600390B39BFAC1019024391661170200000'

Additionally, 'order_time' also had a corrupt entry: '2017-01-17' All other fields contained normal data for a 'Close Shift' record.

I updated the corrupt fields, restarted the server and was then able to close Till2 properly, and reopen. Drawer Close Report contains 2 correct entries now for Till2.

Running: POSPizza CS v6.91 on 6 terminals (no v7 beta)
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Open/Close Shift Problem

Post by Scott »

Looks like memory got corrupted on the machine creating the transaction. Is the machine turned off overnight, or left to run? If it runs all the time try to reboot it at least every couple of days.

It's troubling that there are alpha characters in what is a DWORD field internally. I would keep an eye on that machine specifically since it was the machine where the error occurred based on your data. If the server side or the database goes bad, then the entire table generally gets trashed. Since the entry was incorrect data but in a clean entry, it shows that the issue originated on the client side.

Scott
mrk90

Re: Open/Close Shift Problem

Post by mrk90 »

Will do. Thanks Scott