Gift Cards

Questions and Answers that relate to the [CS] Version of POS Pizza 6 and 7
stevecast2024

Gift Cards

Post by stevecast2024 »

Hi Scott,

One of the shops that I have POSPizza installed in likes to give complimentary gift cards out for fund raisers and similar events. They are running into an issue where they go to use the Bulk Gift Card Tool and after entering one card, every card after shows as already being in the database. It seems as though the system is abbreviating the info scanned from the gift cards mag strip into a format that is the same for every card.

In addition, has there been any talk about adding the ability to use multiple gift cards per transaction in V7? A lot of times customers come in and want to use 2 gift cards on the same order. IE. 2 $10.00 cards on a $16.00 order.

Steve
stevecast2024

Re: Gift Cards

Post by stevecast2024 »

Here is an example of what is scanned in when we try to bulk scan the gift cards now.

8.70040420000715E+15

This same number appears for all bulk scanned gift cards using the bulk editor, however the cards all have unique numbers increased by one digit.

I also see the re is now a manual gift card option. What is this for. How does it differ from internal or external processing.

Steve
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

It looks like the numbers are too long for the database to correctly store them in numeric fields. Do they have mag stripes? If not, then you can re-enter them using the last 4 digits or something similar.

If they have mag stripes, then they are likely incompatible with the very long numbers.

Scott
stevecast2024

Post by stevecast2024 »

Yep. They have mag stripes. I guess they will either have to manually enter them or just order some new cards.

Steve
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

The new update in 6.93 for Custom Amount Gift Cards works very well.

We have Fox's gift certificates that come in a stack, like a check book, with a tear off recept. I use the tool to add the START NUMBER and END NUMBER, then it loads them in the system. When the order is placed, a custom amount is entered. The employee writes out the gift cert. When the order is PAID FOR, the system asks for the Gift Cert number. And you're good to go from there. It's active with no expiration date.

On the other hand, if you're giving out a Gift Cert for a "Free Pizza", You have to go into the Gift Card Mgr, then Delete THAT NUMBER out of the system, so that you can then re-enter it as a give away card, and put the amount for the pizza in there. i.e. $13.81

Our reporting is much more accurate now that "Gift Cards Sold" is a real $ number.

OH! Be careful testing!! As you CANNOT VOID those orders with gift cards. do NOT make mistakes there! or you will have a bad time.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You can always test on a "test database" too. You can setup your back office station to select between the test database, and the live database, so that you can properly test any changes before rolling them out in the live database.

Scott
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

I'm asking so that I can answer an employee when they eventually make a mistake! If it can happen.. they will make it happen..

If I tell them "you can use a test database in the back office" after they've made the mistake, they won't like that answer.

I've already been asked about "give away gift cards" and my answer was "yes, do it the old way, delete out the number in there, add it again the old way, and then it works fine the old way." which is thru the Manager and the gift card section.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Also, you can void orders containing gift cards so long as they card has not been activated. If they realize that they made a mistake, don't activate the card at the end of the transaction. Then they can void the order. Once the card is activated, then they cannot because the card now has the value on on.

Scott
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Scott,

I ran into an issue with the Gift Cards today when updating the Restaurant. Things work fine at the Pizza place.

But.. the Button is "grayed out" on the Order Entry Screen.

I have everything set like the other place, where it works wonderfully. I'm not sure where to look to fix this.

Thank you.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

For gift cards to work you need the following:

1. Global System Config -> Customers & Misc - Gift Cards not disabled, should be set to Internal Gift Card Processing unless you're using a payment processor, in which case it should be set to External Gift Card Processing.

2. Gift card Setup - Either Fixed denominations defined, or Use Variable Amounts option selected.

3. Purchasable Cards entered into the database.

Scott
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

1. yup. internal.

2. yup variable amounts

3. yup used the bulk tool.

Still GRAYED OUT on the Order Entry screen.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Ok... found a bug in the gift cards module, but there is an easy work-around.

Set the type from Use Variable to Use Fixed, and enable at least one of the types in the fixed card amounts section.

Once this has been done, change the it back to Use Variable, and save. The gift cards button should be enabled.

The module is seeing that no fixed types are available at one point, and returning that no gift cards are available to be sold. This section was not updated to see the new "variable" type.

Scott
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Thank you!

I'll give this a try tuesday. As I need a break. and they're closed til then.
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Worked like a charm!! I should've noticed the greyed out checkboxes for the fixed amounts weren't checked here.