Caller ID

General Information about POS Pizza 6 and 7
durbancic
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Caller ID

Post by durbancic »

Will called ID still be supported without the use of a whooz calling unit? We have caller id modems in computers and use the modemsrv.exe files for caller id in v5.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Caller ID

Post by Scott »

The problem with that is that each line would require it's own connection to the DB server. I was considering eventually doing a stand-alone version, but as far as supporting CS I am going to have to think about that. I may have to write some kind of gateway or something, otherwise the cost for a 4-line setup would be great to the db server.

Scott
durbancic
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by durbancic »

Ok, so I should start convincing the owner to get a caller id unit then :wink: ...since it won't be supported in v6 the current way we run it. If he is willing to get it, that is fine w/ me, I would like the additional capacities and reporting.
Dan
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The Whozz Calling units are really nice, so that wouldn't be a bad idea. It will be awhile before I can get to supporting the CID modems anyway, but it is something that I am considering. It is just the network versions that may be a problem with them, unless I find a way to make it work differently.

Scott
durbancic
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by durbancic »

Do we need to get the ethernet version instead of the usb/serial version?
durbancic
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by durbancic »

Ok, just talked to Grant @ Callerid.com. He said that his computer shows that POS Pizza would use the basic version of the callerid units (unless that has changed with v6) and that the reporting isall done through POS. If that is so, my quesion is whether or not to get the serial version or ethernet version. The computer that I would connect the serial version to will not be the server computer, it will be a client. Will that work? Or does the unit have to connect to the server?

Thanks
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You can use either version, the choice is yours. The caller ID software will only be installed on the machine where the unit is attached to the serial port. That machine will also have to be on the network, so that the CID Server can talk to the main DB server. Once this is done, all should be fine.

You have the following choices of Caller ID hardware using either serial or Ethernet.

Whozz Calling 2, 4, or 8
Whozz Calling Lite 4
Whozz Calling POS

Scott
durbancic
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by durbancic »

Will we need to purchase software for POS Pizza (caller id tracker) for any of these versions? Or is it built into v6?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

durbancic wrote:Will we need to purchase software for POS Pizza (caller id tracker) for any of these versions? Or is it built into v6?
The CallerID add on with no logging enabled is free. $45 to add a license to use the logging capabilities. If you want to use logging, you will only get basic inbound log info from the Whozz Calling Lite or POS. The Whozz Calling 2, 4, or 8 will give you full inbound and outbound logging capabilities. This is something to consider when purchasing the caller ID units as well, since they do offer different capabilities.

If you simply want caller ID info and nothing more, then you can use the CallerID server in the free mode, and use any of their units including the ones with the lesser capabilities.

Scott