License question.

General Discussions
Diamatron

License question.

Post by Diamatron »

New customer. Small town shop. I understand we will be starting with one POS station for order taking. Then we will have a drivers and possible a kitchen station. My question is the front counter location. Will this location need a license to cash out tickets?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: License question.

Post by Scott »

Hello,

Yes, the front counter location will need a node license since you will need to run one of the POS modules to cash out tickets.

The following modules require a node license to operate:
  • Main POS Module
  • Dine-In Module
  • Online Ordering Module
  • Premium POS Module
In addition the Premium POS Module requires an overall license to run at a given location.

The following modules do not require a node license to operate:
  • Driver Dispatch
  • Management
  • Kitchen Make-Lines
You can run as many of these modules on as many machines as are needed.

Scott
Diamatron

Post by Diamatron »

Software. When you release a major upgrade. Are we required to buy the update. Or will our current version continue to work with all features?

Hardware. If we buy a decent Icore main computer. Then For the modules can we go ultra basic with possibly a non intel processor. As long as it runs windows 7. Modules being kitchen drivers and a secondary pos.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Diamatron wrote:Software. When you release a major upgrade. Are we required to buy the update. Or will our current version continue to work with all features?
Major upgrades (v5.x to v6.x, v6.x to v7.x) are free within the first year of your original purchase. After that they are very reasonably priced and are optional. You can stay with any version that you want as long as you want. We still have some users who are using v3, and v4 and many still on v5 and v6.

Minor updates (v6.1 to v6.3, v7.0 to v7.2) are always free within the same major version (number before the decimal) that you are currently running.
Hardware. If we buy a decent Icore main computer. Then For the modules can we go ultra basic with possibly a non intel processor. As long as it runs windows 7. Modules being kitchen drivers and a secondary pos.
Yes, the server should be a regular PC with 8GB RAM (more if you use it for other purposes too), and the clients can be anything, even full Windows tablets.

A fast and reliable network is also recommended. If you use WiFi, use a higher end access point or WiFi router such as Apple's AirPort Extreme. A wired connection is always best however. Again avoid bargain or low-cost routers or switches. They will only cause problems down the road. You should count on spending somewhere around $200 for a good switch (or router) to connect your POS stations to.

Scott
Diamatron

Post by Diamatron »

I ask too many questions I know.

Would it me easier just to install two SA versions and map the hard drive to share the database? And if the CS install is preferred could you get me more info helping me choose a switch.

On the POS stations, they would also be able to access all the module programs?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The SA version is (Stand-Alone), hence the "SA" and cannot run from a mapped drive or share a database. The CS version is the multi-user version and is what you need if you want to run on more than 1 station, or need the extra modules that the CS version includes.

You can pick and choose which modules get installed on each station. By default the installer installs all of them, but you can customize which module get installed on a given station.

Yes we can assist you with choosing a switch (or router).

Scott
Diamatron

Post by Diamatron »

Thanks for all your help!

Could the Server also double as one of the employee POS order enty stations? I see you reccomend 10 Pro versions of windows, any concerns using 10 Home version?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The server and the client can be run on the same machine. It is quite common for people to do this. Windows Home version will work, however the number of network connections into shared resources (via Windows) like printers is restricted to (I think) 5, in the Home version. This limitation does not exist in the Pro version.

Scott
Diamatron

Post by Diamatron »

And the Kitchen Monitor would need a mini PC. Then how does it work. A touchscreen to finish order or a controller of some sort? Also does POS work with barcode reader to sell cooler/shelf items?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The make screens are not touch screen. Normally a bump bar, or a mini or regular keyboard would be used. Only keys 1 through 6 are generally needed to operate the module.

The POS does not support bar code scanning.

Scott
Diamatron

Post by Diamatron »

Is there a benefit to using a dedicated pos touch screen monitor compared to a consumer grade monitor such as dell, hp,.... like wondering if the pos versins are more heavy duty for temps and kitchen grease fingers....
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Yes, generally the POS type are heavier duty. The ELO touch are very durable. Another difference is the POS types are only single touch, so pinching and other gestures won't work on them. This does not matter since the POS does not use these anyway.

Scott
Diamatron

Post by Diamatron »

Found some great deals online. Is there any advantages of 4:3, 5:4 or 16:9 ratio on the displays?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The 4:3 is more compact, and requires less space, but all will work.

Scott
Diamatron

Post by Diamatron »

OK. Hardware purchases have started arriving.

What features am I looking for in a network switch without doing online ordering? I think 8 ports would do me fine.

Is the Premium Interface just as simple to build as the regular?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You would want a gigabit managed switch. Something like Ubiquiti 8 Port Unifi Switch or the Cisco SG-300 series. Click the links for a description and cost of each unit.

A tutorial document for setting up the Premium Module can be found here: https://summitcn.com/premium/Premium%20 ... torial.pdf

It requires that you have all of your menu items setup beforehand. After that it is more about proper planning, but overall is pretty easy to setup.

Scott