what does it actually do?

Information and help with the Hard Disk Scrubber
RobertFoster

what does it actually do?

Post by RobertFoster »

hi, I was reading a letters page of a magazine I got reacently. This guy wanted to delete his whole HDD and he was replacing it and he didn't want his sensitive data looked at. The magazine suggested the Hard Disc Scrubber for the job.

My question is, what does the program actually do? I need to clear off all my files as I'm building a new computer and I'll proberly sell this one. Does this program delete all files on the computer or just the ones I've "deleted" through the recycling bin?

If it does this is there a change it deleted my OS too? I can't afford to get rid of my OS as I don't have it on CD anywhere (no system or backup CD was shipped when I got it from TIME)

Is this product the solution I was looking for?

Thanks for your time.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

It will either delete files that you mark to be deleted (similar to the recycle bin) or it will overwrite the free space.

Overwriting the free space will overwrite any old data that "used" to be part of a file. Deleting a file doens't really remove the data, it simply marks the file as "no longer there" on the part of the drive that keeps a list of all of the files (FAT). The data contained within the file remains in tact until something else overwrites it (such as another file taking up the same physical location on the drive's sectors). All the scrubber does is garbles up the "old" data making it nearly impossible to "undelete" the files which may or may not have contained your sensitive data.

The scrubber doesn't delete the OS, only the files that you mark. The best thing to do is to use windows to delete all of the stuff that you need to delete, and then run the "Scrub Free Space" mode once you are all done.

Scott
RobertFoster

Post by RobertFoster »

OK, thanks for the info.
DanielSinete

Hard Disk Scrubber 2.1 - Cant detect Hard Drive

Post by DanielSinete »

Hi, I recently used Hard Disk Scrubber 2.1 on my hard drive and now, I'd like to install Windows 98 onto it.

My problem is that my computer is not detecting a hard drive at all now. I've tried everything.

Help?
Mike
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Mike »

Sounds like you need to create a partition. Also check the CMOS settings for your HD.

Mike