Fix key issue with PAX integration (ChargitPro)

Discussions about current add-on packages for POS Pizza
crwheelr

Fix key issue with PAX integration (ChargitPro)

Post by crwheelr »

As I see it presently, the PAX terminal integration is not usable and needs software revision.

The problem is that when "default to manual", "use tips", and "prompt for tips" are checked in the Payment Processing configuration screen in POSPizza, The "default to manual" does not override the "prompt for tips" and it should. Manual means manual, not manual and PAX (for tips). For delivery phone orders where cc info is entered over the phone manually on the PC, the PAX still gets signaled to enter a tip and enter signature. This is an incorrect behavior since the customer is not present. The PAX integration should bypass any on screen activity for the manual entry mode. Essentially a credit card receipt gets printed and customer needs to fill in tip and sign the slip upon delivery of product. Then tips get added through the legacy POSPizza "Add tips" function.

Since the 'default to manual' integration behavior is flawed in that it is requiring PAX entry for tips and signature, the only work around is to configure via POSPizza Payment Processing as "default to manual", "do NOT use tips". This work around is far from optimal for walk in customers since they must sign on the PAX, and then write in the tip on a paper credit card slip. Its quite awkward to request customers to write in a tip if they wish. Alternatively one could dedicate one POSPizza PC for walk in, and the other for phone order. This is also not optimal in my opinion.

If you are considering PAX integration for POSPizza be warned. You can also lobby Gravity Payments to fix this issue as its likely only a few lines of code that need to be changed.

note to HMAN: The Gravity processor allows for cc info to be entered on the PC. I see this as an advantage as cashier doesn't need to access the terminal to enter cc info. The Gravity sftwr is flawed however, as in the instance of walk in customer swiping card on terminal, they cannot specify the tip on terminal. must be hand written on slip and entered afterwards by staff. This is what's scheduled (i think,) to happen next year.

** UPDATE 2/28 **
Gravity informed me mid las year that they would queue this change in at Q1'24 with new version of EISERVER. For those wishing to do away with paper tipping on phone/counter orders, you should avail of this update when available.
Regis
Pizza Bello - Pleasanton, CA
Last edited by crwheelr on Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Fix key issue with PAX integration (ChargitPro)

Post by H-Man »

I've been using the pax s300 for several years now and have seen no such issue. Update your payment processing software if it is out of date.

For me manually entered phone in orders print a tips line on the slip and orders with a physical credit card prompt for tips on the pax. In my case I enter the card numbers for phoned in orders on the pax terminal itself and not on the computer. You mentioning that suggests that you have some 3rd party software installed because summit's does everything on the pax itself.

This is likely a problem with the software that allows you to enter the cards on the computer screen instead of the pax. Try entering on the pax and see if it works correctly.
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by H-Man »

One more thing, there is a check box in the pax setup screen in management at the bottom called "prompt customer for tip on pax (excluding delivery)". That has to be checked or you only get tips on slip.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

With Gravity (and all other processors with installed software) we simply pass them the transaction data, and their software ultimately communicates with terminals / or directly to their gateway. We don't have any control over what happens at that point. If the payment comes back as the total amount, then a tips line will be printed if that option is enabled on the Summit end of things. If a credit payment amount greater than the order total is returned, then the remainder is printed as a tip.

You can skip the tip on the terminal during delivery orders (other tip amount -> $0). This will cause the POS to print the tips line on the credit card slip (if enabled) since no tip will have been applied at that point. If you're doing it in their software, then leave the tips field blank or set to $0.

Scott
crwheelr

Post by crwheelr »

H-man,

What you have in quotes "prompt customer for tip on pax (excluding delivery)" is this precisely what the ChargitPro / Advanced config screen indicates? If that's the case, then it would seem that CIP has fixed my issue. My version says "Prompt for tip on terminal" (terminal is PAX)

One more thing, you said for phone orders I presume "I enter the card numbers for phoned in orders on the pax terminal itself and not on the computer". The Payment Processing/ChargeitPRO/Devices section has a checkbox for "Default to manual", which (I think) would allow you to enter manual card number on PC instead. This option presents an button on the manual entry screen to "use swiper", which then sends the info request to the pax.

Regis

Update: I spoke with Luke Bennett at Gravity. we checked my CIP version and its the latest one, 5.1.1.110 is this the version you are using H-Man? Luke is telling me that there is no text such as "prompt customer for tip on pax (excluding delivery)" in the chargitpro config module.
crwheelr

Post by crwheelr »

Scott,

As instructed, I entered a zero in the tip field of Order Submit screen. The PAX is still prompting for tip for this simulated phone order.

Chargitpro setup is: "default to manual", "use tips", and "prompt for tips on terminal". I exited and restarted order entry module after setting up CIP as above.

Regis
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

H-man is not using Gravity. He's using the Generic PAX module with another processor. That is where the option that he is referring to is found. With that module we have control over when to prompt on the terminal and when not to.

With Gravity that would need to be handled in their software, since we essentially hand the transaction off to them and wait for it to be completed or declined. We have NO control over how that transaction is handled after that point in the process.

---
As instructed, I entered a zero in the tip field of Order Submit screen. The PAX is still prompting for tip for this simulated phone order.
Don't enter it on the order submit screen. Enter the $0 amount on the PAX terminal itself. When the PAX prompts for a tip, it will either be a field, or some fixed percentages. If it is the field, enter 0 and press the green check key. If it is the fixed percentages, click the 4th one over "other", and then you will see the field. Put $0 in the field and press the green check key. That should process the card with NO TIP. The POS will print the tips field in this case, provided that you have it setup to do it for that order type.

Scott
crwheelr

Post by crwheelr »

Yes I am aware of that work around. Its not acceptable to me having cashier make a PAX entry for each delivery phone order. Not to mention also that cashier needs to sign for the customer on the PAX as well.

I told Gravity that this needs to get fixed else I'm moving on. We need to have a chip reader. As you know swipe will at some point be prohibited.

As for alternatives, International Bancard does not support your OOE module, and I really don't want to pay the extra 50c per transaction that Brigid wants for their OOE system.
Can you tell me if XCharge supports OOE? and If the PAX will function as desired? Any integration shortcomings you are aware of?

thanks,
Regis
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I don't know that X-Charge has a PAX integration specifically, or if they use other terminals. Gravity is the only processor that supports the OO module directly. This likely won't change since most people are using OO services rather than opting to run their own. Gravity and Heartland use PAX, and International Bancard uses Ingenico (Lane/3000). I believe Brygid has several different payment tiers available, but you would need to check with them to find out what each one entails.

We can give you a stand-alone PAX option that works with Gravity, but you will have to do all manual entries on the terminal itself, since it doesn't include a software terminal for PCI-DSS reasons. The generic PAX module also won't allow retaining tokens to use "same card as last time" since every processor does this somewhat differently. With the Generic PAX module, tips will only be prompted for on carryout or dine-in orders (if set), and delivery orders will always print on the slip.

We also have the payment processing API (ActiveX) if you, decide to either build an integration yourself, or have a card processor do it for you. This can be done with any Windows development environment that supports Common Object Modules (COM).

Scott
crwheelr

Post by crwheelr »

We ended up reverting back to the computer entry mode (no PAX terminal) for manual entry and credit card swipe. The two PAX integration issues remain unsolved at Gravity and no follow-up to revise. Additionally learned that the PAX mode operation evokes merchant ability to revise charges at the Gravity merchant web site (quick sale, void etc.), a feature that we deem essential. Gravity stated that they were working on this one to enable "edit mode" however.

I did locate a credit card chip reader that functions similarly to the Magtek legacy swipe readers. So at minimum we will have capability for customer to insert their card for chip. https://idtechproducts.com/datasheets/a ... asheet.pdf. Here are the setup instructions for keyboard wedge setup. https://atlassian.idtechproducts.com/co ... 08#Disable. These can be had on Ebay for $20(used) to $80(new). I ordered one and will be testing in the weeks ahead.

Hope this helps for anyone deciding to use Gravity. The one key benefit with gravity is that they are the only processor available that support the POSPizza on line order entry system. All other integrated processors require a 3rd party on line order entry company to be involved, such as Brigid which charges .40 to .50 per web-order, depending of the service level needed. We've been using Scotts OOE for 8 years and are happy with it, as are our customers.
wcpc

Post by wcpc »

Although this post is a couple of months old, I just stumbled on it tonight.

I have Version 8.30.00 and also use OO, V 8.30 also... I am running the CS version with Windows 10 on 5 computers + my Win 10 Online Ordering box, all on a local network. The Server and the PAX machine are assigned STATIC IPs.

The server is in the "back room office", but I use it as a terminal for phone orders as well... and have 3 other computers we use to take phone orders.

I also have a PAX 300 Chip-Reader Terminal, which I use at the main Carry Out Workstation PC. This Workstation PC is the only one configured in the setup configuration to use the PAX. I have attached a link to a screenshot of that "Payment Processing" setup.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y8R1g0 ... sp=sharing

The other work Stations are set up to use the "ID_Tech_IDMB" terminal, NOT the PAX... that's what makes the system work properly, you only want ONE workstation configured to that PAX terminal.

Hoping this helps, you can contact me if you wish to discuss.
JimD
Windy City Pizza
Charleston, IL
crwheelr

Post by crwheelr »

Jim D,

I haven't checked this thread in a while, can you answer me this?

Are you using Gravity payments?
You have the PAX setup for the walk in customers only, meaning that all phone orders are entered in one of your non-pax PCs is that correct?
Have you tried phone orders on the PAX PC? If you did, were you running into the same problem I stated at the start of this threas?

I can call you if better.
thanks
Regis
wcpc

Post by wcpc »

Regis... Yes, I am using Gravity... and yes I do occasionally take a phone order on the terminal configured to the PAX... I just have to wait for the "Manual" button to show up after 2 or 3 seconds, then I can manually enter the card... and I don't get nagged to enter a tip or signature as it sounds like you are...
You can call me if you wish at the store - two one seven, three four five, four one zero zero (Spelled it out so I don't get spammed LOL)
JimD
Windy City Pizza
Charleston, IL