scrubber did not delete my restorable deleted files

Information and help with the Hard Disk Scrubber

scrubber did not delete my restorable deleted files

Post by Guest »

greetings guys - i recently tried the basic free scrubber & passed several total passes ( x 3). i then used my system suite to see if all the deleted can now be undeleted - to my chagrin - all were still restorable. they seem to reside in limbo where they take up no space on my hard drive - the totally in depth scrub seems to have changed nothing - all restorable are still available - some are several years old having been deleted only via the recycle bin - what did i miss here ?? thanks

scrubber did not delete ....

Post by Guest »

with reference to my post regarding restorable undeleted files , i searched for the scrubberwrk folder & did not find one - it appears that the scrub does not complete since it claims i have not enough free space. it comes down to 4000 units of space needed but i have much more than that available. it requested to free UP space via recycle bin but it was empty . i deleted a large folder but still free up space dialogue demand came up again & then i ask it to ignore or cancel demand to free up space & it finishes but seems to be a false finish.

ANY IDEAS WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE ??
Mike
Support Team
Support Team

Re: scrubber did not delete my restorable deleted files

Post by Mike »

Anonymous wrote:greetings guys - i recently tried the basic free scrubber & passed several total passes ( x 3). i then used my system suite to see if all the deleted can now be undeleted - to my chagrin - all were still restorable. they seem to reside in limbo where they take up no space on my hard drive - the totally in depth scrub seems to have changed nothing - all restorable are still available - some are several years old having been deleted only via the recycle bin - what did i miss here ?? thanks
What you are seeing is the names of these files. They can be restored, but they would only contain garbage. The scrubber overwrites the files several times before deleting them. Use the rename option and they won't be listed as their original names either.

Mike
Mike
Support Team
Support Team

Re: scrubber did not delete ....

Post by Mike »

Anonymous wrote:with reference to my post regarding restorable undeleted files , i searched for the scrubberwrk folder & did not find one - it appears that the scrub does not complete since it claims i have not enough free space. it comes down to 4000 units of space needed but i have much more than that available. it requested to free UP space via recycle bin but it was empty . i deleted a large folder but still free up space dialogue demand came up again & then i ask it to ignore or cancel demand to free up space & it finishes but seems to be a false finish.

ANY IDEAS WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE ??
If you are running Scrubber v2.1 it will remove its work files for you. This is what the dialog box is asking you. If you tell it yes, it will remove it's work files.

I think the folder is called "SCRUBWRK".

Mike
Allan

Post by Allan »

I also ran the scrubber 2.1 to wipe a Win2000 partition of restorable deleted files.

I then ran a demo recovery application that seems to find them. The old image files show up clearly as thumbnails. The files have been renamed to a number but appear to be present.

Does the Scrubber work in Win2000...or does it need to work from a boot disk or cd?

Thank you.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Scrub the free space using the Heavy Scrub mode. The files that it is showing reside in the free blocks, the only way to overwrite them is to completely overwriting the free space.

Scott
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Scott »

Allan wrote:I also ran the scrubber 2.1 to wipe a Win2000 partition of restorable deleted files.

I then ran a demo recovery application that seems to find them. The old image files show up clearly as thumbnails. The files have been renamed to a number but appear to be present.
Thumbnails are stored in a separate location. In Windows XP they are stored in a hidden file called thumbs.db located in the same folder as the image files. Un-hide this file and scrub it as well. In Windows VISTA run system cleanup to purge the thumbnails. Do this AFTER scrubbing the files.

Scott