How do I know if it's actually doing anything?

Information and help with the Hard Disk Scrubber
coincidence

How do I know if it's actually doing anything?

Post by coincidence »

I tried scrubbing my C: drive, which only has 2gb left of free space.

While it was being scrubbed, I checked the folder that all of the stuff was being placed in, and it said it had 20gb worth of files in it, 20 files as 1gb each. Then I deleted them all and in the recycle bin they were only 4 kb each.

How can it be placing 18 more gb in my C drive than it has memory for but then only be 4kb worth of data?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How do I know if it's actually doing anything?

Post by Scott »

Windows won't move a file to the recycle bin if it's too large. Move one of these files to another folder and examine its contents if you really want to see what is being written to the file.

Scott
coincidence

Post by coincidence »

But why is it writing more than my C drive has room for?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

If your hard disk is showing files bigger than the free space, then there is something corrupted with the drive. You might want to run some type of disk utility on it to check it. Scrubber makes its files via the OS and if the OS says there's X amount of space left in a drive or in a file, then that's what the scrubber believes. You may also want to do a scrub with verify, this forces the scrubber to read the data after it has written it. It does this for each full 1GB file. But before you do any of this it seems as if something else may be amiss on your hard drive, so do a backup and then check the disk with a surface scan and a disk check utility.

Scott