Novice requesting assistance

Information and help with the Hard Disk Scrubber
twix38

Novice requesting assistance

Post by twix38 »

Hello,

I have just downloaded Hard Disc Scrubber, though am at a loss to know what to do to start and ensure I don't take a wrong step I might regret.

I simply want to scrub a few files.

So, having read around this forum a little, should I start by removing temp files to help speed it up and then first run Scrub Free Space. I trust this does nothing to the future running capabilities and any new stuff I subsequently do will be written where and over what? Over scrubbed stuff or something I may need? as there is no longer any free space.

What exactly does a heavy scrub do and how? Could I loose something I need?

I am clearly a novide on this, but before using it, I need to know what I am doing by selecting these options and any tips and things to do, NOT to do and to be aware of?

Is there a manual or step by step running procedure?

Should I finally then Rename Files?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

See: http://www.summitcn.com/hdscrub/. This is also installed on your computer under the Windows "Start" button menu when the scrubber is installed.

Scott
twix38

Thanks and one more question, please

Post by twix38 »

Thanks, that's very helpfull.

Re the deleting files option.
I wonder how, if I have say downloaded a video and perhaps not even saved it, but just watched it. It still creates temp file(s) and is probably also stored elsewhere too as I can see some (probably not all) when I run WindowsCare which allows cleaning of junk files to recover disc space and I have seen these temp files there from video clips etc.

On the Drive Selector, I get the usual 'Select Files to Delete' display, but what about all the other traces/copies of this download, file, video, or whatever that has also been stored in various other locations like Temp files etc and which I have no idea where they may be stored in order to even be able to choose them from 'Select Files to Delete'?

One other quick question, please. The Directories....I have C, D and E showing, with large 'Disk Free' volumes for C and D and zero for E. No matter which drive I select on the front menu, when I choose 'Files Tagged for Delete' I can also choose any Directory. I assume this is the same thing, so even if I chose C in the front main menu I could re-choose the directory and overwrite my front screen choice, it if I chose a different one from the menu option drop down list in Select Files to Delete? Also in my above case, do I need to run your software on all 3 directories seperately to perform a full disc scrub?

btw, nothing illegal or immoral. I just like to know how things work and that it fullfills the role I think it's doing and that I am using it correctly.

Many thanks
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Videos and whatnot are stored in your browsers cache. Clear the cache through the browser, and then do a scrub free space on your C: drive. Scrubbing the free space will overwrite any files previously deleted by any means, even if you didn't use the disk scrubber to delete the files.

The drive selector is for selecting which drive to scrub free space on. It has nothing to do with file deletion mode, which is where you are selecting folders and files. E: drive is probably 0 bytes because that is more than likely your CD-ROM drive.

Scott
twix38

THANKS

Post by twix38 »

Many thanks Scott.

So, if Videos and whatnot are stored on my browser cache and they are deleted via, Tools, Internet Options, General, delete files (which I have done).

Then do you know why when I run WindowsCare I still get all the tempory files still appearing, as I have deleted them? Can I assume this would be resolved by doing 'Scrub Free Space' inbetween these 2 options as the only missing but vital action?

I have not yet run any Hard Disc Scrubber software, but I will after your reply on the above. When I will understand fully and can go head and delete files, scrub free space on C and then check via WindowsCare?

Hope all this makes sense and thanks for your help.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You may want to delete your temp folder contents as well. Full scrub does *not* delete any files. It only wipes out previously deleted data so that it cannot be recovered. Items in the Temp folder would need to be deleted by some other means or by pointing HDScrub's file delete side there. You would need to know the full path to the folder which is usually;

C:\Documents and Settings\{UserName}\Local Settings\Temp. The {UserName} is the name you are logged into Windows as, and the Local Settings sub-folder is hidden, so you would either need to type in the full path to get there, or go into the users folder then type in "Local Settings" in the file field at the bottom and click "open".

From there you can get into the Temp folder and delete files. Otherwise use some other program to remove them.

Scott
twix38

Post by twix38 »

Scott,

so would the order and list below do the trick completely?

1. Tools, Internet Options, General, delete files - to remove from Browser's cache.

2. Run WindowsCare and delete all located temp files - same job as your suggestion to find and delete in C:\Documents and Settings\{UserName}\Local Settings\Temp. Then also ensure Recycle Bin has been emptied.

3. If video or whatnot actually saved anywhere, then do a full/heavy scrub by tagging for delete. If video or whatnot not actually saved, then can skip this item.

4. Hard disc scrubber, set on "C" and then Scrub Free Space.

5. Rename files - if previously ever saved

6. All traces of any residue, anywhere, now removed and unable to un-delete??

I would be surprised if all users fully know that they may not be removing all traces of some items. Even after my check through with yourself, I am unsure if I will 100% be removing all traces of my download and could easily have left the cache or temp files and maybe more, that I am still unaware exists even after using your Hard Disc Scrubber software.

Do you think my above list is correct and covers it all without exception now?
If not perhaps you could amend and complete it for me?? It's quicker in the long run and thanks :D

How great it would be to have a brief operational users guide for a few common user requirements available in your downloaded guide, rather than try to pull it together in my mind and then check back with you, because if it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly and not to do it 100%, but just believe I was, is a completely pointless excercise.

Thanks very much for your time, help and patience. Much appreciated.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The only way to ensure that everything is gone would be to re-format the hard drive (low level), then re-install Windows, then install the scrubber and do a Full free space scrub.

Other than that, I can't tell you for sure if all traces of xyz ap will be gone, because each ap is different in where they store files. Some are in the Windows default temp folder, some use the Application Data folder, and others use their own folders. So the only safe method is that mentioned above.

*Rename Files does not have any effect on a full scrub, only when you are in using the delete files side.

Scott
twix38

Post by twix38 »

Thanks Scott,

So, anyone running Hard Disc Scrubber is still unlikely to remove all sources of a downloaded video or whatnot, as it will be stored potentially all over the place, not just on the Hard disc and some of these places will inevitably get missed.

Having better understood the limits for removing some items and therefore the remedy you suggest for achieving removal of all traces of xyz ap, I therefore assume the Hard Disc Scrubber can remove 100% for "saved files" only, such as Excel/Word etc, as any download process will store copies or traces in any or all of the possible places you describe?

It is pointless to try to use Hard Disc Scrubber for downloaded data, as this would give a false sense of security when dealing with video and whatnot? 100% removal is not going to occur for these items as manual intervention is required to locate the many different traces that will have been created throughout the P.C. Therefore this is the reason that the only certain way, is to follow your latest post and re-format the hard drive, reinstall windows etc......?

Thanks Scott.

Finally what are you doing working Saturdays :wink:
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

For downloaded items, clean up the cache then scrub. Same for videos. They will only be in the cache of the video player, and their original file location.

The problem is with some programs you may not know their cache or temp folder location. Most programs allow you to clear their caches however. If you do a full scrub at some point after this it is highly unlikely that the data will be recoverable in any manner.

It really depends on if you are planning on keeping the computer or giving it away. If you are keeping it, then just by using it any leftover traces that you may have missed will go away over time. If you are giving it away or selling it, then a format and scrub would be your best bet.

Scott
twix38

Post by twix38 »

Thanks very much Scott