problems editing ini file

Information and help with the Hard Disk Scrubber
ChimChim

problems editing ini file

Post by ChimChim »

Hello I have Windows Vista 64-bit and have tried editing the ini file to make a custom pattern but get an error message of "Cannot create the C:\Program Files (x86)\Hard Disk Scrubber\Scrub.INI" "Make sure that the path and file name are correct". It then allowed me to save it but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Does this not work as documented or am I missing something here?

Don
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: problems editing ini file

Post by Scott »

Hi Don,

This is happening because you need to have Notepad (or whatever editor that you are using) running with Administrative Rights. To edit this file under Vista (with UAC enabled), go to the Start button in Windows and select All Programs then Accessories and then right-click on Notepad and select Run as administrator from the pop-up menu. Windows will "need your permission" so click Continue on the next dialog. After this you will see Notepad open up. Go to the File menu and select Open, and then navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Hard Disk Scrubber\Scrub.INI and select that file and open it. Make the changes to the file as needed and save.

If you are running 32-Bit Vista the process will be the same except the Program Files folder name will simply be Program Files.

Scott
ChimChim

Re: problems editing ini file

Post by ChimChim »

That did the job. Thanks!

Don
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

UPDATE:

Post by Scott »

This is no longer an issue as of version 3.2 since you no longer need to edit the INI file. The program has an on-board editor which does this for you.

Scott