A few questions

Information and help with the Hard Disk Scrubber
thebigchil

A few questions

Post by thebigchil »

Hi, hope someone can help with these:

What does the 'prompt each file' command mean?

What's the difference between fast, normal and slow write speeds?

When I've done a search with File Recovery software I'm still seeing many many files as recoverable (mainly html and gif files), even after several wipes. How come? They were mostly showing in folder C:\[DIR60................(lots of numbers!)

Any help gratefully received
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A few questions

Post by Scott »

thebigchil wrote:Hi, hope someone can help with these:

What does the 'prompt each file' command mean?
This means that it will prompt you before deleting each file.
thebigchil wrote:What's the difference between fast, normal and slow write speeds?
That actually sets how much CPU time that the scrubber will release to the OS in between blocks. On the "Slow" setting the program will release lots of time slices back to Windows so other programs will run faster while you are scrubbing in the background. On the "Fast" setting, the program releases very little time back to Windows so the scrub process goes much faster, but other programs will seem choppy or lag. The "Normal" setting is in between the other 2 settings.
thebigchil wrote:When I've done a search with File Recovery software I'm still seeing many many files as recoverable (mainly html and gif files), even after several wipes. How come? They were mostly showing in folder C:\[DIR60................(lots of numbers!)

Any help gratefully received
Have you been able to actually recover one and read it though? You should not be able to read the file as its data will have been overwritten with new data during the wipe process. If you use the scrub free space you should no longer see those files as recoveralbe.

I hope this helps. :)

Scott
thebigchil

Post by thebigchil »

Yes it did, thanks Scott. I'm still not sure about whether the files are recoverable as i'm using a demo (free!) version of the file recovery software, which doesn't actually show the files content, only the name. Any ideas on how I can check?

Thanks for your help.