HDS Ver3.3

Information and help with the Hard Disk Scrubber
Beagleboy

HDS Ver3.3

Post by Beagleboy »

I am a long term user of Hard Disk Scrubber but recently I upgraded from a early version (2.2 I think) to 3.3. I then went to scrub the "free" areas of my hard drive. I had XP SP3 as my OS and a single partition 56GB Hard Disk on my Toshiba Laptop. I opened HDS up and was pleasantly surprised with the program interface. It had changed considerably and I expected it to be even more "user friendly". I did not read any instructions or user notes and inadvertently clicked on the "Scrub Files" Button first (before realising my mistake). Because I had not selected any files I did not feel this would be a problem and so I moved on to click "close computer down on completion", select "ultra" as the scrub type and then clicked "Scrub Disk".
I left the computer for a number of hours and came back to find HDS still running. I clicked "Stop Scrub" and closed HDS down. I had trouble shutting off the computer so powered off and powered on again. The computer displayed a flashing "_" cursor in the top left hand corner and that was all. I live in Australia but am currently visiting/residing in Vietnam. All of my programs and boot devices are in Australia so I called in a local Tech. Everything was gone .... the hard disk was blank so the Tech loaded XP professional for me. I am up and running again but have lost all the data I had stored on the hard disk. Luckily i have a back up copy of most of the important stuff (but not all). I must admit that I have always thought of myself as computer literate but am still mystified as to what exactly happened. I will be interested to hear peoples opinions/suggestions/advice.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HDS Ver3.3

Post by Scott »

Not sure what could have happened. The scrubber only writes in the free space within a partition. It sounds like the partition table was knocked out, or your boot files messed up. Memory corruption?? Not sure...

Scott
Beagleboy

Re: HDS Ver3.3

Post by Beagleboy »

Thanks Scott. I have been involved with computers some 25-30 years and used to write inter-relational databases ( a long time ago ... it seems) so You can imagine my surprise :shock: It also picked the best time to happen ... in a country where i am isolated by language and without my support/disks/Cds. :oops: :evil: :roll: :?: :idea: