Combinings Repeat names and adrresses

Help with the POS Pizza databases, Items + Toppings, Employees, Customers, etc
zippaz23

Combinings Repeat names and adrresses

Post by zippaz23 »

Is there a way to do a search for and combine duplicate addresses? In my customer database I have a lot of the same customers entered in twice (ex. they have the same address or phone number listed but might be in there 3 or 4 different times because of different spellings of their names). Is there a way to run a search for all names that have the same address and/or phone number and then combine them as one? Thanks in advance for your help.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

See the customer merge utility. You can also do a quick search by "Street" and see what hits come up in the customer editor.

Scott
zippaz23

still no luck

Post by zippaz23 »

I tried the customer merge utility with no luck. There was no option to search by street. All I could do was type in the first 6 letters of a customer's id #. Is there any way to just run a search for duplicate phone numbers and addresses, locate the duplicates and then merge them as one? If the customer merge utility is capable of this, how exactly do I go about doing it? Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
Mike
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Mike »

The database won't allow duplicate phone numbers. The best way to do the merge is this:
  1. Use the 'Find Customer' button in the main POS to search by streets.
  2. if you see the dupes you are looking for in the list, jot down the first 3 digits of their customer ID's (they should be the same on your dupes).
  3. Run the customer merge util and enter the first 3 digits of the customer ID that you are trying to merge and click the locate button.
  4. two of the lists below should be populated with matches once you do this.
  5. use the middle list to highlight each customer in question and verify the contents in the right-most window.
  6. after verifying these, find the primary account (the one that you want to keep) and highlight it in the middle window.
  7. highlight the matching (dupe) account in the left window and then click the merge button. (Repeat if there is more than 1 dupe)
I know there is an extra step needed here, but this is the only way to do this for now. I have already told our programmer that there should be another way to search this list other than just the first 3 (or more) characters in the user id, so it will probably improve in a future version. :)

Mike
zippaz23

Thanks

Post by zippaz23 »

Thank-you, I'll give it a try.
tbryan

Customer Merge

Post by tbryan »

The customer merge utility is useless for all practical purposes based on the customer ID. Most of my duplicate customers do not have similar customer ID's.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

They really should if they use the same first and last names.

We will look into ways of improving this in the future...

Scott
chrispizza

Post by chrispizza »

I agree that the merge utility is useless for a lot of duplicates. I am having the same problem. I have many customer IDs that are slightly different, such as tanaka and tonaka. With a mistake in the second letter, there is no way to bring up the second cust ID in the merge utility box.

It would help if I could change the cust ID. Is there a way to do this?

I have found that the easiest way to do this so far is just to export the database to excel, and manually find the duplicates. Then merge the ones that I can merge and just delete other duplicates and enter in the phone numbers that they are linked to in the main profile.