Order Console 2 not work after upgrade to 5.0

Help with the POS Pizza databases, Items + Toppings, Employees, Customers, etc
tbryan

Order Console 2 not work after upgrade to 5.0

Post by tbryan »

I went ahead with the upgrade to 5.0 last night after closing and installed the temporary license key provided. However, items directed to order console 2 no longer display. Order console 1 is fine. Need help.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

confirm that the startup still has the <space>2 after the exe name on the shortcut. Does it say [2] at the top of the screen?

Scott
tbryan

Continued Problems

Post by tbryan »

Still having problems with this order console 2. Everything seems to go to it now but from time to time you can not clear the completed. You can F1 and complete an order, it rolls to the bottom but if you F4 + Y the closed never go away. Then after awhile nothing new shows up. Restarting the POS or rebooting the main machine and/or the console machine has no effect. However, it started working the next day so apparently something in the end of day close fixes it.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Make sure that all of your network (and local) stations have Full administrative rights to the Install folder. Usually this type of problem occurs when the network rights aren't as such.

The easiest way to do this is to log all stations in as "Administrator". You should be able to Create, Modify, and Delete files in the POS Pizza folder(s) from any station in the network.

Scott
tbryan

Order Console 2

Post by tbryan »

This is Windows 98, everyone has full rights. It is not like it doesn't work at all. It works for awhile, then all of a sudden it will not be functioning. Another wierd thing occured the other day - all of a sudden new items began to appear in reverse sequence, they would appear at the top pushing older items to the bottom.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Do your network drive letters ever get a X through them in your explorer? This still sounds like something is going wrong with the network. Is it Windows 98SE? If so make sure that you adjust your cache settings as shown in the Network Troubleshooting guide.

Scott
tbryan

Order Console 2

Post by tbryan »

No. I can browse the network. Even rebooting the "server" or network station does not help. It is 98SE and I will look into the cache issue.
tbryan

Order Console & cache

Post by tbryan »

Where is this Network Troubleshooting Guide? Can't find anything regarding cache settings. Are you talking about turning off the write behind cache?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The Troubleshooting Guide is in the Documentation (v5.0.1.6 or later). Make sure that you are running the most current version of the software. Especially on Win98SE and WinME. There were specific changes that addressed these OSs in the last few updates.

The most recent version is 5.0.1.10 (Jan 11, 2005) and is available at our downloads page.

Scott
tbryan

Order Console Hangs

Post by tbryan »

This continues to be a problem. I installed the lastest version, made all the suggested networking changes without success. I previously developed software for 35 years and did network installation and support for the prior 15 years. This does not appear to me to be a network or caching problem. You can reboot all the machines in the shop and it doesn't fix it. The one and only thing that gets it going again is to do a daily maintenance. For example, just a few minutes ago order console 2 would not clear completed items. I did a zero daily maintenance, without stopping the order consoles, and it immediately started to work again. This indicates to me that it is somewhere in the database files. Although it most frequently (several times a week) happens with console 2 it occassionaly happens with 1 also. Needless to say that generally when it occurs it is not a good time to be exiting three order entry nodes to do a daily maintenance so we have to have paper at the ready at all times.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The Daily Maintenance has zero effect on the database file used with the order console. The order console uses PizzMkLn.PZ5 as its primary data file, and MkLnUpdt.PZ5 for the last order time stamp file.

This problem is not happening else where and I cannot duplicate it here. I can run the system for days and the make-line's still respond and don't lock. We're using a Novell network.

Try shutting down the program one station at a time, and then bring it back up on that station. After each program re-start, see if the console begins to respond. You might find out which station is causing the lock up.

Console 2 and Console 1 both store their data in the above mentioned files. So if one works and the other does not, then I would be checking with that machine specifically.

Also try installing the latest Utility Pack 2a that just went up a couple of days ago. We changed the polling setup in the MakeLine.dll file which is the file that does all of the database I/O for the system. See if this corrects your problem. That dll version is 5.0.1.12.

Scott
tbryan

Order Console Hang

Post by tbryan »

I have tried restarting each machine without effect. It happened again tonight in the middle of the rush causing quite a mess. I couldn't stop taking orders long enough to do a daily maintenance. When I finally did the console began working immediately without any other intervention. That caused some other side effects that I didn't anticipate, that is the 30 or so un-cashed out orders were gone along with all the delivery orders waiting at the drivers console, so this is not an acceptable way to get it working again especially on a Friday night.

I will try the utility pack suggestion.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Also by manually deleting the file MkLnUpdt.PZ5 should cause everything to refresh since it is the file that holds the time stamp that tells the terminals that the database has changed since they last looked at it.

Scott
Mike
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Order Console Hang

Post by Mike »

tbryan wrote:I will try the utility pack suggestion.
Has the utility pack 2a solved the problem?

Mike
tbryan

Order Console

Post by tbryan »

Strangely enough I was just about to write about that subject, checked my email first and saw your reply notification.

No it did not solve the problem. I thought it had because we had not had a reaccurance since I installed it, but then it happened tonight on both consoles. Deleting MkLnUpdt.PZ5 did not help. Restarting all the machines did not help. Doing a daily maintenance got it going again.

Let me tell you the symptoms again:
you use F1 to complete an item
the screen is filled with completed items
you use F4 to clear the completed
it comes to the Yes/No prompt to confirm clearing
it will not accept a Y or N
no new items will show to push the completed items to the bottom

If it was machine related I would think a reboot of that machine would have some effect, but when you restart it behaves exactly the same. Do a Daily Maintenance and it clears up without rebooting the order console machine and I believe without even shutting down the order console program although tonight I already had it shut down when I did the Daily Maintenance.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Ok, try using the Delete Makeline Data option from the Utility Pack 2 menu (maintenance menu). Select ALL consoles and then click the clear selected button, and see if this helps the problem.

Does this happen anytime you use the F4 option to purge the completed orders? If so it sounds like the PizzMkLn.PZ5 file is becomming corrupted.

Scott
tbryan

Order Console

Post by tbryan »

I believe I did try that during the last event but I am not sure now. It does not happen every time you use F4, it can run for days without a problem, but once it begins F4 is useless from that point forward. That in itself would not be so bad but new orders stop flowing in at the top.
tbryan

Order Console

Post by tbryan »

Happened again today but a little different. Only on order console 1 and only one item that would not clear. Other new items appeared, could be completed and could be cleared. Using the Delete Makeline Data did remove the item and seems to be functioning afterward (one test order). Doing this when there are a lot of orders pending would not be good though. Superbowl Sunday I elected to work strictly off paper to avoid any disasters.