v7 Database Lock

General Information about POS Pizza 6 and 7
mrk90

v7 Database Lock

Post by mrk90 »

Hi Scott,

I'm getting a periodic lockup on the database. The DB server log reports this as: "Eror Could not Send -- Device I/O error" Could you tell me what exactly would trigger this error?

I'm running the v7 system on 9 terminals accessing the DB from various network locations as well as regular remote management access. The server (v1.24) runs on a VM on a Dell T130 with no auto AV scans.

I've been seeing this error every few days for the last month or so. I've rebooted the VM and the bare metal and it doesn't seem to fix the issue. A simple restart of the service fixes the problem. I have a log tailing program setup to do this automatically so it's not really affecting operations significantly, however I would like to isolate the problem if possible.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: v7 Database Lock

Post by Scott »

That's a generic message indicating that an error was returned (from Windows) to the server during an attempted TCP packet send.

It could be anything. It could be a single device on a bad segment, or with an intermittent NIC, or bad or loose cable, or even an OS that is lagging. Since you mentioned that it happens until it's restarted, it may be the segment or switch upstream from the server rebooting or resetting. If the server's NIC experiences a reset (disconnect / reconnect), then the server will need to be restarted after that.

Scott
wcpc

Post by wcpc »

As both a POSPizza user and a computer repair shop owner, my first thoughts on that Server Log error would be a BAD OR FAILING HARD DRIVE... If your computer has self-diagnostics, run the on-board Hard Drive tests... otherwise a downloadable program such as HDD Regen could test the drive...

JimD
JimD
Windy City Pizza
Charleston, IL
mrk90

Post by mrk90 »

UPDATE - the server was connected to the router by switch independent NIC teaming (server 2012 r2). After disabling one of the links the frequency of DB error has decreased significantly. Pretty safe to say there was an issue there either with the hardware or OS (I had previously also had different problems running LACP mode over the same link).

I'm now slowly checking other network segments and will also check HDDs as per JimD's suggestion. Thanks for the input.