Setting up pizzas in Combos

General Seup or Installation Help
CP001

Setting up pizzas in Combos

Post by CP001 »

Hi,

I've downloaded the trial copy and have some problems understanding how best to use Items and Toppings features.

How can I setup Pizza POS to support the following order taking process:
a) Size (M, L or XL?). Crust (Standard or Thin?), Type of pizzas (from selection of 16 types), Whole or Half/Half?, Toppings Added (xxx), Toppings Removed (xx)
2) Combos at fixed price which consist of 1 or two pizzas (from the type of pizza as in 1), side orders and beverages.

Thank you.

HS
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Setting up pizzas in Combos

Post by Scott »

It really depends on how your charge for each of those items. The size could be categorized for quick filtering, then you would have each of your types under that. The thick/thin could be managed through the toppings choices as well as creating a separate item. With POS Pizza there are many ways of doing the same task. One thing that I would recommend is to install the sample data to get some ideas of how things can be used. Some of the items in the sample data are ways in which our current customers are using their menu items.

POS Pizza's menus consist of 2 separate databases. One for toppings, and one for items. Think of toppings as "components" or parts that are needed in order to make up an item. These parts could be not only toppings, but crusts, buns (in the case of sandwiches), or even things like boxes, bags or other things that you may want to track with your sale.

The items are then made up of the "components' and can be setup in many ways also. You can setup items with no components, or items with many. POS Pizza has categories which act as "filters" from the order-entry areas. For example if you have a category called "Lg.Pizza" it would remove any items from the current list of selections that were not large pizzas (items not contained within the category). Items in the list are also shown in alphabetical order, so you can take advantage of this to list your items as you want. In the sample data, all of the items names start with a grouping name like "Pizza - Large 12-Cut". This naming technique can be used to help group items together in the list for quicker access to them. You could use any type of naming that meets your needs.

Depending on your pricing structure and other needs you could create individual items for each Thick/Thin set or you could create a topping called "Thin Crust" (or thick) and assume the lack of its presence means the opposite. This really depends on your personal tastes and somewhat on your pricing structure. If thick's cost is different than thin's you could do this either way, but if you charge different amounts for the toppings on thick vs. thin, then you would need to use the separate item approach.

I hope that this has helped. The initial menu setup in POS Pizza is probably the most difficult task in the entire setup process.

Scott
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Combos as you refer to them would fall under "Number Coded Groups" in POS Pizza. This is a grouping of any items you put together with a fixed discount, or price for that group.

Scott
CP001

Post by CP001 »

Thnaks for the explainatiion Scott.

I defined some items under Number Coded Groups say Group Code "0001" but still I'm unlcear how to link these items as Combos are part of the order menu. Ypur help appreciated.

Cheers !!

HS
Mike
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Mike »

Use the Add Group button from the main order-entry screen to add a number group.

-Mike
CP001

Post by CP001 »

Hi,

Do you mean the "Item Group" button on the main order screen? This button is disabled.

Cheers !!

HS
CP001

Post by CP001 »

Hi,

I'm unable to enable the item numbered group feature in Order Handling of Sys Config. It apperas that the feature has been disabled for the trial demo version. Is there any other way I can test this feature.

Cheers !!

HS
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Yes, contact Tech Support for a demo license key. You can do this by phone or by email. If you email please provide the following;
  • Your Name
  • Business Name (as it appears in Business Settings)
  • Contact Phone #
Scott
CP001

Post by CP001 »

Thanks Scot.

I've enabled the number group item feature withj the fix.

However, I need to set a price for the combos. How do I define a price for each set of numbered group items.

Cheers !!

HS
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Let's say for example that you normally sell large Pizzas for $10 each, and 2-Liter Beverages for $2.50 each. Next you want to create a special that includes 2-Large Pizzas + 2 2-Liters for $20.

Go into the number coded groups and start a new group. Add 2-Large Pizzas and 2 2-Liters to the new group. If you stopped here these Items would only get grouped and no special pricing would be applied, so the next thing you need to do is add a price reduction. To do this add a non-inventory item. This item we will call "Special Discount" (you can call it anything you want) and we will use a negative amount in the price. The price on the non-inventory item will be set at -$5 since the items without the discount would total $25 and we want them to total $20 for our special. We will then *LOCK this item and add it to the group. Now your group should have:
  • Large Pizza
  • Large Pizza
  • 2-Liter
  • 2-Liter
  • Non-Inventory Item -5.00 (locked)
Now when you go into the POS system you can add this group to your order and you will get all of the items that you want at the price that you want. To remove a group from an order simply delete any one of the items, and the entire group will be removed.

* Locking an item prevents that item from being EDITED from inside of the order. Edit would allow things like price change, description change etc. and we don't want that on our non-inventory item so we lock it. You can also lock the other items too if you do not want them to change. Pizzas usually allow for toppings to be changed on them so it is generally best not to lock them.

Scott
CP001

Post by CP001 »

Thanks I got my 2 For 1 and Combos working somewhat.

The 2 For 1 pizzas are set with afixed price discount depending on the pizza group type and new or additonal (+) and removal of toppings (no change) price changes are made to the discounted price.

Such topping changes in POS Pizza appear to affect the base price of each 2 For 1 pizzas.

Is it possible to implment our pricing calculations in the system?

Cheers !!

HS
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

When POS Pizza gets 2 or more items in a 2-for-1 group, it uses the highest priced item to make the cheapest one free. It does this for every pair within a given group.

If you want to include toppings, you can use the Include toppings option which will allow adding up to x amount of toppings at no additional charge for that particular item.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve but if you post some sample prices as you want them to appear, I can tell you if POS Pizza can automate that for you. Obviously POS Pizza only supports very common pricing schemes, so if you use some type of pricing scheme other than 2-for-1 or include toppings it may be tricky to get it to work exactly like you want it to.

Scott
sulaiman

Post by sulaiman »

I also have questions in Setting up combos

If my combo is 1 Large Pizza, One Soft drink, What is the best way to do it?

When i set it up according to the manual i had two problems

1. I cannot select "the type of Pizza", because its not changeable you can only change the toppings.
2. If the different pizzas have different prices, How do I put the negative value as a non inventory item since prices are different.

Thanks
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

A combo with items that are not static can't be done, because of all of the reasons that you stated. The price calculations won't work, so in that case your best bet is to create an entire new inventory Item that represents the combo as a whole. It could be called 1 Lg. Pizza + 1 Drnk Combo. It would be set at a fixed price and then the cashier would have to use either the toppings, or special instructions to define the other settings.

Scott