driver console

General Seup or Installation Help
gjuliani

driver console

Post by gjuliani »

I am setting up my driver console. I obtained an old IBM PC, cpu, monitor, keyboard, mouse. I now want to connect it to my main POS terminal. How do I connect it? What type of wire? Once it is connected, do I install the driver console and simply open it up everyday and expect it to be in sync with the main POS?
Please advise.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You will need to connect the computer using CAT5 (Ethernet) to a switch (or a router). Your other computer(s) will also needed to be wired to the switch.

Once the physical connection is made, you will need to make sure that the computers have the same network protocol installed (usually TCP/IP).

Next you will go to your main computer and open "My Computer" and share the "POS Pizza" folder allowing full access to remote PCs.

After you have done this, you will now go back to the driver console computer and "Map" a drive lettter that points to the main computers shared POS folder.

I would recommend looking at the "Basic Networking" doc included with POS Pizza even though it is geared towards older Windows 98 installations most of it still applies. You can also find alot of information about networking Windows PCs on the Internet.

The simple explanation is that you are sharing your main POS Pizza folder so that the remote computers can use it as a mapped resource. The remotes will all run from the same folder as the main. You do not need to install the POS on any other computers, only the main.

Scott