Driver Directions - turn off?

General Seup or Installation Help
mike_rochip

Driver Directions - turn off?

Post by mike_rochip »

Let me first say, I like this software. The value is tremendous. I'm please I decided to go with your product. Just wanted to say that since I'm asking a bunch of questions!

I am printing receipts (or what we call driver tags) on full sheets of paper. At first this seemed weird, but I kinda like it now.

The driver directions are printed on a second sheet. Always. Even if there are no directions. Is it possible to turn this off, or have the directions only print if there are, in fact, directions?

Save a tree!
Scott Hack

Post by Scott Hack »

My best suggestion is to turn off the delivery driving directions portion completely and to teach your drivers to read a map. Eventually they will know where all the streets are anyway - this will only help them. If you have a street that is *really* hard to find, just pull up the directions and let them write them down (again this will help them remember them)

-Scott Hack
chrispizza

Post by chrispizza »

I agree with scott about the map part. The other thing is why waiste so much paper and ink printing them on a 8.5x11 sheet? I realized very quickly how much ink my printer went through, and purchased a laser printer, but paper and printing cost are still a very real item on my P&L.

Just my 2c though.

-Chris
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Go into the "Local Config" for each machine, and set the Delivery Directions to Do Not Print at the bottom part of the "General" tab. This will disable the printing.

I would agree with Scott and Chris that you will probably want to stop using a full page printer at some point. You should consider switching over to a receipt specific type printer like the Epson TM-U220 wich only costs around $200 for the basic unit. I would also recommend getting one with an auto-cutter if you are putting it in your kitchen area. This makes it much nicer to separate the orders since it makes a partial cut in tha paper in between each order. A good source for these printers is POS World.

Scott
mike_rochip

Full size paper and directions...

Post by mike_rochip »

We will print our menu and coupons on one side and run those thru the printer for the receipt on the other side. This will actually save paper, since we now don't need a separate menu. Coupled with the built in customer message from the POS, this works very well as a box top flyer.

We seldom need driver directions. They do know how to read a map, thank you. (we're new to this particular POS, but not to the business).

The point I am confused on is this: I can turn directions on or off completely. But I can NOT set a parameter to print the driver directions only when there actually are directions. This seems strange to me, since we have directions on, lets say, 5 percent of the deliveries. It makes the whole driver direction text field kinda useless. So I must be missing something, right?
chrispizza

Post by chrispizza »

Mike,
Now that makes much more sense. One thing though, is that you can cut the printing area in half, and still use the larger paper. The ink/ toner usage will be very noticable after a while.
But how will you attach it to the boxes if the driver needs to read the address? That is the whole point of a box topper you know.