Receipt Printer Help Needed

General Seup or Installation Help
hwgfiug

Receipt Printer Help Needed

Post by hwgfiug »

Hi. I just installed POS Pizza for a client on Tuesday (trial version). Here's the system he wants (he's opening the store for business on Monday).

Computer #1 - Primary computer running WinXP
- Epson TM-U220PD Receipt Printer (parallel cable)
- Cash Drawer (attached to printer)
Computer #2 - Secondary Order Console running Win98
Computer #3 - Driver Console running Win95 (and possibly future Tertiary Order Console if sales warrant)

This is a peer network via Ethernet with a switch. I got everything working except I cannot connect Order Console #2 to the receipt printer, and through it, to the cash drawer. Is it possible to connect #2 to the receipt printer (which is attached to #1)? Also, is it possible to connect #2 to the cash drawer (which is attached to the receipt printer, which is attached to #1)?

I've read the manual & checked the program help, but I can't find the answers. The problem started when WinXP recognized the Epson printer as unknown new hardware, and wanted to install software for it. But since Epson provides no drivers, I just kept cancelling the New Hardware Wizard that kept popping up. From what I read, I needed to share the printer via the network so #2 could see it & use it (in the Local Config?). BUT, there is no printer to share, as WinXP won't list it as a printer until some driver/software is installed. So I finally gave up and downloaded drivers from Epson's website (which I'm pretty sure is not what I should use.)

I think maybe I found an answer that may apply to me in the Forums: http://www.forums.summitcn.com/viewtopic.php?t=222. However, I'm not sure this applies in my case, as he was printing "documents."

Finally, should I go to WinXP Device Manager and disable the Epson printer (so the New Hardware Wizard doesn't keep bothering the client)?

If I can get this system to work, he's going to buy it & at least one additional Order Console license. Thanks.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Hello,

Follow the list below to share the Printer Drawer from machine #1:
  1. Install the Generic / Text Only Printer driver (comes with Windows) on the computer with the printer physically attached to it. (It does not matter if windows already installed some other driver.)
  2. Share this driver (name does not matter).
  3. Go to the other computers and attach the shared printer driver from steps 1 + 2.
  4. Go into POS Pizza and go to the Receipt Printing tab and set the printer port as WinDrv and save.
Next make sure that your LOCAL CONFIG list is Empty! All of the PC's will be using the same same hardware.

Now your printer & drawer should work globally.

Scott
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Another thing... Press the Defaults button on the Printer Settings page, and it will load the page with the TM-U220x default settings. These will work with your printer.

Scott
hwgfiug

Post by hwgfiug »

Scott, thanks for the quick reply. I'll try those instructions today.
hwgfiug

Post by hwgfiug »

Worked like a charm :) My client ordered the license plus an additional console license. Thanks for the help.