Sales Tax

General Seup or Installation Help
tbryan

Sales Tax

Post by tbryan »

I am finally getting started on setting up the system. The first thing I noticed is that it does not appear to handle sales tax properly for Ohio. Only dine-in is taxed except for pop. I see a taxable indicator on items but no way to say only tax on dine-in. Is there a way to get it to only tax dine-in?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

There is no way to tax based on the type of order.

Scott
tbryan

Sales Tax

Post by tbryan »

I guess there are no other Ohio users.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

We've got about a dozen Ohio customers. Not sure how they're handling that situation.

Scott
tbryan

Post by tbryan »

I have tried numerous ways to work around this problem without success. You can't have a "Sales Tax" item that you would manually calculate because you can't override the price even if it is zero. The percentage calculator in the non-inventory item is useless because it always calculates as a discount. If you manually calculate the tax and add a non-inventory item to the order I can find no way to get the total dollar amount of those items from any of the reports - in fact I see no way to look at total sales of any item. It looks to me like the report capability is badly lacking. If any Ohio, or other, users have found away around this please let me know otherwise I think I am going to have to abondan POSPizza and look elsewhere.

Scott - is there any refund options on my purchase?
pit stop john

This May Work

Post by pit stop john »

What if you use a sub category for "Dine in" and then add all the menu items to that department too. Then you could price the items with tax included. then when you go to the month end, you could pull up the dine in sales and back out the tax (Total Sales divided by100 percent + the tax percent) like 1.0775 percent for 7.75 percent to reach the gross sale less the actual tax collected.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You can use the Non-Inventory percentage calcuator. Simply remove the (-) minus sign from the calculation and redefine the description field. The percentage calculation will be correct. It simply defaults to a discount since this would be the most common use for it.

You can also do as John said and create another set of your menu items (all taxable) and put them under a dine-in category. Everything else would have no tax and would be used for your carry out and delivery orders.

Version 5.0 will support Tax Exempt sales so this will help you in this situation too. You are eligible for a free upgrade when it is ready.

We do not give refunds once the permanent license code has been issued. See our refund policy posted on our web site.

Scott
moltabellapizza

Re: Sales Tax

Post by moltabellapizza »

Is it safe to assume the software has been updated since this issue? In the Manager App I found where you can mark for Dine-In, but I tried that and it did not add the tax for an order which was marked Dine IN. What's the best resolution for this.
moltabellapizza

It would seem that in the most recent version (just downloaded today) that this has been fixed. I have installed the software and started setting up the main items. After a quick test, it does not add the tax on the dine-in order. Even though I have that checked off in the global set up page under sales tax. Am I missing something else?

Thanks,
Annoyed by taxes in Ohio :)
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

moltabellapizza wrote:It would seem that in the most recent version (just downloaded today) that this has been fixed. I have installed the software and started setting up the main items. After a quick test, it does not add the tax on the dine-in order. Even though I have that checked off in the global set up page under sales tax. Am I missing something else?

Thanks,
Annoyed by taxes in Ohio :)
Is your sale item set as "Taxable" ?

I'm not sure exactly what you are seeing, but I just tested here and it works fine. I have only dine-in type orders checked as taxed, carry-out and delivery orders are non-taxed.

When no order type is selected, the tax is shown. As soon as I pick one of the non-taxed types (un-checked) it removes the sales tax for the order. Even if I edit the order and return to it, I can toggle the tax status.

Have you downloaded POS Pizza 6.10.10 ? Nothing has been changed since the release of v6.0 on this and it has always worked as far as I know. Version 5 and back didn't have the ability at all.

Scott
moltabellapizza

Scott,

Thanks.... Got it right now. I had to mark the master item as taxable.

TC