2nd Node Lag?

General Seup or Installation Help
stafebak

2nd Node Lag?

Post by stafebak »

Hi,

Having a minor issue with our 2nd and 3rd node lagging. I don't believe it to be network related as I have run a constant ping on command prompt, and when the lag occurs, there is no change in the ms between node 1 and node 2/3. I haven't been able to find any consistent symptom of when it happens.

Basically, it will randomly take up to 5 seconds to start printing the order off or finalizing it. This does not happen on node 1 ever. Only on the nodes (2 & 3) that run the POS over the mapped network drive. By random I mean, perhaps once every hour, sometimes less.

Running on XP 32-Bit.

Any ideas what may cause this? Or any information I can further provide to help?

Thanks
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2nd Node Lag?

Post by Scott »

It sounds like a print spooler issue. I don't know what specifically, but that is probably where you want to begin looking. Windows handles the printing, so you will need to look at the settings for the shared printing from all ends.

You could also try removing the print driver, and then re-installing it and sharing it again. See if that clears it up.

Also try turning off print spooling on that driver.

Scott
stafebak

Post by stafebak »

I tried re-installing the printer driver. This didn't seem to help at all, we're still having issues. Also, I was going to turn off spooling, however isn't that the service that is essentially a printer queue? So if I was printing from node 2 while node 1 was printing, nothing would happen, no?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The spooler isn't the queue other than locally. It simply allows the app to move on and do other things after submitting a print job. Otherwise the app waits for the print job to be accepted and processed (not necessarily printed). Sometimes the spoolers have been known to hang for whatever reason, so disabling it on the client will help eliminate this possibility. It won't effect anything where multiple stations are trying to print at the same time either. The print jobs for receipts are very small and will move through the system very quickly anyway. The jobs will still come out in "First-In, First-Out" order.

You may also want to have a Certified Windows Networking tech look into this since printing is all handled by Windows, and Windows networking.

Scott
stafebak

Post by stafebak »

Scott wrote:The spooler isn't the queue other than locally. It simply allows the app to move on and do other things after submitting a print job. Otherwise the app waits for the print job to be accepted and processed (not necessarily printed). Sometimes the spoolers have been known to hang for whatever reason, so disabling it on the client will help eliminate this possibility. It won't effect anything where multiple stations are trying to print at the same time either. The print jobs for receipts are very small and will move through the system very quickly anyway. The jobs will still come out in "First-In, First-Out" order.

You may also want to have a Certified Windows Networking tech look into this since printing is all handled by Windows, and Windows networking.

Scott

I see! Thanks for the information. I will give this a go and see what happens.
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by H-Man »

You might want to consider updating to the latest version of the POS. It doesn't depend on windows sharing for data anymore. If your issue is a printer issue though, it may not solve it because printer sharing is all done through windows in version 6 too.