DB server wont load on a new machine

Questions and Answers that relate to the [CS] Version of POS Pizza 6 and 7
pudgebros

DB server wont load on a new machine

Post by pudgebros »

My original server mother board fried. I recovered my database. Purchased a new Windows7 machine and used the same process to load POS6 server and CS software. When I installed my dongle it fired right up.

Overnight we shut it down as usual. When we fired it up this morning I received the following message; "POSPizzaDB server failed to start. There may have been a preceding error message. Check log file. If nothing in log file then error occurred before server program could start (missing DLL?) or you lack required privileges. Try starting from control panel."

I saw nothing in the log file. Control panel shows POSPizzaDB but it says (Remove only).

Any ideas? Thanks
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DB server wont load on a new machine

Post by Scott »

At the bottom of the log file there should be a message with the code eror in it. It is either a TCP/IP error, or a Dongle error.

If you moved the server directory to the new machine, then I am going to make a wild guess that the computer name of the new machine is different than the old one, so you may need to delete the config file from the server folder.

1. Stop all running parts of the server and exit the server admin tool completely.
2. Go into the Server folder and delete the file named POSPizzaDBServer.Cfg
3. Start the admin tool, and install and start the server.

If the POSPizzaDBServer.Cfg file from your original computer is being used, the server is trying to resolve its name to an IP which it will be unable to do, so startup will fail.

Scott
pudgebros

Re: DB server wont load on a new machine

Post by pudgebros »

Thanks Scott. That did it!