printer fonts and setup

Questions and Answers that relate to the [CS] Version of POS Pizza 6 and 7
durbancic
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

printer fonts and setup

Post by durbancic »

For our receipt printers we use the epson tmu-2xx default printer setup. I would like to change the address field to be a larger, bolder font. Last night I did some playing around with using the extended graphical printer setup. The problem is, this makes the printing take a lot longer than usual due to the whole ticket being in a bolder, larger font. Is there any way to change just the font on the Default setup? Or what font should be chosen for the body in graphical mode to duplicate the default setup?

Thanks,

Dan
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: printer fonts and setup

Post by Scott »

Hi Dan,

The reason that it is slower is because it is printing a picture of the fonts so each pixel that makes up a letter (and many of these make up an individual letter) has to be sent as several bytes of data. In the default mode, each letter is sent as a single byte, so the data is far less. The printer uses it's on-board font for this mode, whereas the other mode it is just printing a bunch of dots as instructed by the printer driver. The extended mode works best on Thermal printers since there is typically no delay for this mode unlike a dot matrix printer.

The TM-U200/220s only have essentially 4 on-board fonts. Double-high flag, and double-wide flag. You can go to the large font on the entire receipt, but that will cause the print width to only be 20 characters across the slip rather than 40.

These are really your only two options, or you can upgrade the main printer to a TM-88 or other thermal model which prints a full custom receipt in about 1 second.

Scott
Datum

Post by Datum »

Is a thermal printer the best way to go then? Does anyone use them and do they have problems with the slips turning black if they attach them to the hot pizza boxes? I always thought this was an issue so I assumed that delivery restaurants would use impact or ink jet printers instead of thermal.

I ask because I am piecing together my POS system and haven't yet purchased printers and was curious about thermal printers.

Dave
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I believe that the newer thermal printer paper isn't as susceptible to darkening as the older-style paper was. There are lots of people using thermal printers that I encounter during support calls.

Maybe some others who are using thermal printers can chime in.

Scott