Automatic Backups

Questions and Answers that relate to the [CS] Version of POS Pizza 6 and 7
joshwho
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Automatic Backups

Post by joshwho »

Hey Scott I was Just Wondering does this new version Automatically create Backups for the DB?

We lost about 2 months of Data because of 3 Hard Drives that fried on our old server so Now I installed a Remote backup service on the new server and I have it backing up the Whole POSPizza Directory in the c drive will that be efficient enough or do I have to setup something to make the sql backups to?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Automatic Backups

Post by Scott »

No you must manually backup the database from the server-side or run some sort of 3rd party auto-backup to do it automatically.

Scott
joshwho
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by joshwho »

I have the Remote Backup on the Server its self It is automatic and a 3rd party system Im not getting what you mean by that. So your saying me Backing up the the C:\POSPizza6 will not be effective?

This is a Remote Offsite Backup system I am using on it. It makes a backup every day. Is there another directory I should backup besides the one I listed above? I just don't want my boss to have to go through re adding all the menu items and employees back in case of a crash.

Also just to be clear isnt the file C:\POSPizza6\Server\POSPizza.PZ6 the Data Base?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The database file(s) are in the Server subfolder with .PZ6 extensions. The file C:\POSPizza6\Server\POSPizza.PZ6 is the default database file. As long as that is backed up you can simply restore it to the default location on a new machine and you should be good to go.

You can also export the menu data to XML which would allow you to quickly re-import it into any new database files. That however doesn't protect the rest of the data.

Scott
joshwho
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by joshwho »

ok sounds good thats how I thought it was thanx for the clarification.
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Yeah, as long as you're backing up the database file .PZ6 you will be fine.

I setup a DropBox account for the store data file. it keeps a current backup