Server performance

Questions and Answers that relate to the [CS] Version of POS Pizza 6 and 7
NetTech

Server performance

Post by NetTech »

How many stations are running on some of your larger installations? What kind of computer is the server running on? How is the overall system performance?

Jake
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Server performance

Post by Scott »

We've got a 10-node license out there and several 8-node setups. I cannot comment on the specific hardware that those installations are using, but will say that the system is functioning well for them. We have had no calls for issues on these installations other than the usual setup or data questions that aren't related to system performance.

Scott
NetTech

Post by NetTech »

That's good to know. I am sorry for all of the questions, but I am very leery of installing a server at a client's site without first scrutinizing the heck out of it, and since I can't get my hands on it without purchasing it first, I want to make sure that I am asking the right questions.

Jake
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

NetTech wrote:That's good to know. I am sorry for all of the questions, but I am very leery of installing a server at a client's site without first scrutinizing the heck out of it, and since I can't get my hands on it without purchasing it first, I want to make sure that I am asking the right questions.
How many stations are you looking at installing?

I would recommend first getting familiar with the LT version and once you have a good understanding of how it works, then you can purchase a single node license for the CS version. You will have a 30-day period that you can do a return in should it not meet your requirements. Just use the LT version first, so that you can focus more on the network aspect of the software when moving to the CS version. That way you won't spend time learning the basics during the 30 days.

Scott
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

We started with this software in October, and opened in November. We went from 1 station to 2 stations after the first weekend.. we were that busy! and the simple network setup is so easy.. on the second terminal it automagically finds the server every single time. I have NOT had to manually configure anything in the POS Pizza server. For remote admin, we have a computer using wireless for the Manager.exe program upstairs. It works perfect for pulling reports over wifi. I wouldn't really trust a terminal to WIFI, but just management stuff is no worries.

As for hardware, I upgraded our main register/server from a 1.6ghz slow old AMD to a newer Dell AMD system. It runs just fine on XP or Win7. And don't have to open "File and Print" sharing at all. I've got the kitchen printer on an ethernet connection. So each station sends directly.
NetTech

Post by NetTech »

It all sounds pretty good from here. I will probably be installing some stores with 3 to 5 workstations at first, but the potential for larger installs definitely exists. I want to be able to handle as much of that as possible with one POS system. Having only to learn a single system has its advantages over having to learn several.

Jake