Problem with line screen and chicken wings

Questions and Answers about the POS Pizza 6 and newer Database
Hometown Pizzeria

Problem with line screen and chicken wings

Post by Hometown Pizzeria »

We do not dictate to our customers how they need to buy are wings, so we sell all our wings by the piece rather than most places sell by groups of 10,20,30 ect... My problem when testing a line screen if someone orders 6 medium and 15 hot and 7 BBQ I ended up with 28 order lines on the line screen one for every wing. I cannot use this like that I need them grouped as whatever number of wings hot and what ever number of BBQ in the next window. Anyone run into this problem and figured out a solution. We also might have 15-20 different orders open at anytime and some might be ordering 3-4 pizzas the same yet I see 3-4 windows showing the same items. I would like to know if there is a way to use one of the 6 view windows for each order and not for each item.

Thank you,
Keith
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem with line screen and chicken wings

Post by Scott »

Hi Keith,

If you are selling one chicken wing as in individual item, you are going to have to use filtered receipt printing for this task or you will fill you make screens very quickly.

Filtered printing basically prints all of the items for a given line in receipt format using additional receipt printers in the kitchen area. Once you setup specific items to a specific line number, then the receipt printer can handle that area. For your situation, you can create one for just wings and let everything else go to the screen. The screen would remain at line 1 (or whatever) and you would use another line # for the wings. In receipt format the quantities for each "type" will be shown as a single line item.

Filtered printing does however print the all items from a given line whenever an order is edited and resubmitted. Knowing this you will need to add special instructions to a new or changed item saying to "make only this item" or tell you cooks that. If you primarily do a delivery / carry out type business, then this won't be as much of an issue for you.

Scott
Hometown Pizzeria

Post by Hometown Pizzeria »

Filtered printing basically prints all of the items for a given line in receipt format using additional receipt printers in the kitchen area. Once you setup specific items to a specific line number, then the receipt printer can handle that area.
I am following your idea but not sure what you are referring to when saying filtered printing. I assume your saying specific items would be sent to say line #2, if so then line two driver would be say the driver for the Epson TM-88V printer and from that it would know where to send it to. Am I correct in reading what you said so far.

Let me give you a quick overview of our system to insure we are talking about the same things.
1. Main server is also used as a POS location where orders are taken by phone using WC or walk in or Dining Area Walk ups.
a. This server has one printer connected to it a smaller credit style Epson emulation printer for credit card receipts. This printer is not shared and setup as a local only.
b. This main server will also share the Ethernet connected Epson TM-88V network printer for actual receipts if required for a customer.
2. Second POS PC, it is basically the same as the server but only running the CS software on it.
a. This POS2 Station has one printer connected to it a smaller credit style epson emulation printer for credit card reciepts. This printer is not shared and setup as a local only.
b. This POS2 Station will also share the Ethernet connected Epson TM-88V network printer for actual receipts if required for a customer.
3. Line Screen is a laptop operating in the kitchen for the line feed only for cooks to view the orders on the oven side of the Kitchen.
a. This Line screen laptop has a Epson TV-T88IV printer setup via USB that runs to the Fryer side of the kitchen for printing items specific for that side of the kitchen (such as wings, fries, etc..). This is where you are talking about sending the filtered printing, given a line screen cannot group line items together.
4. Drivers Laptop running only the drivers module for drivers to login and take care of deliveries checking in and out.
a. This Driver station will also share the Ethernet connected Epson TM-88V network printer for customer & delivery receipts.

That is the basic layout for equipment, 1 server/POS, 1 POS PC#2, 1 Driver Laptop Station, 1 Kitchen Line screen Laptop, 2 credit card usb printers dedicated to printing credit card receipts, 1 TM-88IV setup for the Fryer cooks line items, and one Shared Ethernet TM-88V for drivers printouts and any customer receipts as needed.

So in closing we are building this slowly day by day and want to insure we are overlooking anything as we move closer to going live within the next few days. We will be live with online ordering yet I need to read more on that before we get into that part.

Thank You,
Keith
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Hi Keith,

Your setup should work fine for what you want to do. The printer attached to the line should be shared and then setup as printer #2, 3, or 4 from the two main stations under "local config" on each of them.

Filtered printing is part of the receipt printing sub-system but all items "except" those from a specific line # are printed. This has nothing to do with the printer numbers themselves. When you go into local config and go to the printers page there is the list of the 4 receipt printers at the bottom part of the page. Printers 2 through 4 allow you to filter what is printed on them. The default setting is that everything is printed. To filter only a certain line or lines click the little "filter" (coffee filter) button between the printer type and printer driver name. If all 4 lines are checked the printer prints everything, even items set for no make line. If anything less than all 4 boxes are checked, then only items from the lines that are checked will be printed. So in other words, if you you only checked the box for "Make-Line 2" then only items for line 2 would print on that printer. You can see full details about this type of printing beginning on page 23 of the managers docs. You would be starting at step 10 in the list.

Scott
durbancic
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by durbancic »

Keith,

I just thought of another solution that would work for your wing problem. You can use the makeline screen. Create your item. Call it wings. Create a bunch of toppings. The toppings that I would make would be:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 20, 30, 40,......BBQ, HOT,....
Set the corresponding price for each quantity. Set the pricing for this item to use "individual topping charges". When a customer orders 27 wings, click on the 20 and the 7 (maybe put the 10's quanities before the 1's). The order maker would see on the screen:
Wings w/ 20,7 BBQ

Hope this may be another option for you.

Dan