Menu setup

Questions and Answers about the POS Pizza 6 and newer Database
sofie

Menu setup

Post by sofie »

Hello. I am trying to setup my items in the free version of pos pizza. My toppings are priced as follows. The first topping is at full cost. The second and third toppings are at 75% of full. The 4th and 5th toppings are at 50% of full. 6 and up are free. Premium toppings are a fixed price at all times.

So on my large pizza a full topping is 2.00. So if I had a 7 topping large pizza it would look like this.

Large pizza $10.00
Topping 1 $2.00
Topping 2 $1.50
Topping 3 $1.50
Topping 4 $1.00
Topping 5 $1.00
Topping 6 $0.00
Topping 7 $0.00

Total item cost $17.00. $17.00 is the max that I charge for a large pizza with 5 toppings or more with the exception of premium toppings like extra cheese.

I can't figure out how to setup pricing like this in pos pizza. So far, I've had a difficult time finding any free or low-cost pos systems that do this. Does your full version do this?? Does the free version do this? Maybe I'm missing something. I can only get fixed topping prices, that will not work for me.

Similarly I will have the same issue at the item level on items like pizza by the slice. The first slice sells for $1.00 with a $0.50 topping price. The next 2 slices sell at $0.80 and then $0.60/slice after that until a full pie is reached.

Please Help!

-Sofie
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Menu setup

Post by H-Man »

Wow, and you do that on paper now? POSPizza won't do that type of pricing. Very few systems do that I know of. Only the high-dollar systems where the company programs in your menus or a custom built system will give you this kind of ability. I used to use a fancy pricing scheme before I got a pos too, and it was simpler than yours is but yet too complex for an off-the-shelf pos system. I would suggest reconsidering your pricing to a more standardized approach. It will save you tons of money on a pos system and fancy pricing schemes don't really get you any extra customers. My customers liked when I simplified things better I think.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Hi Sofie,

POS Pizza will only do prices individually (per topping / per item) or flat (all toppings on an item).

To get into advanced pricing setups like the one that you are looking for would take a scripting language for items & toppings, or a custom program written specifically for your set of needs. We actually looked into a scripting language back when we were developing v4 but found that it was too complex for an end-user to setup unless they had previous computer programming experience. This would have made the menu setup even more unfriendly than it currently is for some people, so we opted not to go this route in support of the most common pricing used by the majority of those running this type of business.

It will be very difficult to find a low cost or free system to do that type of pricing scheme. I know some of the really big systems can do it via a scripting language, but they're in the 10's of thousands of dollars too.

Scott
sofie

Post by sofie »

I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to do this. I can't just change my price structure to meet a computer system either. I think it should be the other way around.

Oh well, I'll continue my search. Thanks for your replies.

-Sofie
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by H-Man »

sofie wrote:I can't just change my price structure to meet a computer system either. I think it should be the other way around.
Well then you'll have to fork out at least $10K for a POS system that can support this. I would seriously reconsider your current pricing instead. It will save you thousands of dollars, and make your customers happier since they will be able to figure out the pricing using simple math when considering placing an order. If you make it too complicated, they will accept it if they like your product well enough, but in general it tends to irritate the customer.

As I said earlier, I used to use "fancy" pricing, and my customers were very grateful when I ditched it. I received lots of positive comments when I went to a more standard pricing scheme.
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Here's how I dealt with our menu.

We have a "cheese pizza" that is a little cheaper than a "custom pizza" which is listed as a 'pepperoni pizza' on the menu. So.. no topping choices on a cheese pizza! the custom pizza.. the 1st topping is free. and it was setup as pepperoni being a $0.00 topping. But this was changed to just be the first topping free.. regardless of what it is. And it just works that way.

As for "supreme" pizzas.. we just add all the toppings then do a non-inv negative amount for something. *shrug* idk what they do. but they don't bug me about it.