Error Writing to Disk............

User-to-User general discussions regarding POS Pizza
joshwho
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Error Writing to Disk............

Post by joshwho »

I keep seeing this message every now in then, even when no one is even logged in. Usually when I see this message, it happens when some one is taking a order. They will start taking the order and some times customers will have a hard time deciding on what food to get so the order taking field gets left open for longer then a couple of minutes. When they go to cash out the order it will say Error Writing to Disk. It still prints the Kitchen ticket but it never gets added to the data base. This is a big problem because this makes orders look like they have already been processed so the food gets handed out the food for free. I dont know why Its doing this It use to do it all the time but I have made so many improvements to the whole network. We are now running 200mbps Network speeds now we have no firewall restrictions for POS Pizza. Every thing including hardware and software was done a 100% correctly and I still get this error message every now or then. Is there going to be a update soon that will fix these problems ? I know its not a hardware or windows issue. Thanx.....
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Check the integrity of your database files. POS Pizza doesn't give a message exactly like the one you said. It would give you back an error number which will help better determine the problem.

This is not a problem that others seem to be experiencing so it is not in the software itself. My suspicion is that you have a corrupted record in one of your data files. That would explain it being intermittent, since the bad record may not be accessed regularly.

Scott
Mike
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Error Writing to Disk............

Post by Mike »

joshwho wrote:I keep seeing this message every now in then, even when no one is even logged in.

If you are seeing any error messages while POS Pizza is idle, then it is *not* from the software. POS Pizza does not do any writes while the system is idle or while no one is logged in.

It is from another process or Windows, but definitely not POS Pizza if it is while things are just sitting.

What Scott said is true if you get the message when you click a button, or take some action at that moment, otherwise the message belongs to another process.

-Mike
joshwho
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by joshwho »

I guarantee that its not windows. I have tested this on multiple systems. I have used different OS.'s and I even had a software team test it out they had the same problems. I don't see y u keep telling me this is a windows issue. No other pos software does this.
joshwho
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Error Writing to Disk............

Post by joshwho »

Mike wrote:
joshwho wrote:I keep seeing this message every now in then, even when no one is even logged in.

If you are seeing any error messages while POS Pizza is idle, then it is *not* from the software. POS Pizza does not do any writes while the system is idle or while no one is logged in.

It is from another process or Windows, but definitely not POS Pizza if it is while things are just sitting.

What Scott said is true if you get the message when you click a button, or take some action at that moment, otherwise the message belongs to another process.

-Mike

If that was the case then how does the Deliv Stat Mod. update. The time date udp time server all run while no one is logged in.
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by H-Man »

joshwho wrote:I guarantee that its not windows. I have tested this on multiple systems. I have used different OS.'s and I even had a software team test it out they had the same problems. I don't see y u keep telling me this is a windows issue. No other pos software does this.
You make it sound like the POS system does this everywhere. I personally am only a lowly user, but have been running pos pizza for 4+ years now and have never encountered a problem like you describe. Did you check the files like the support staff asked you to?

Also if you tell them the numeric error code that the system is giving you, they might be a bit more helpful. Just saying that you are getting a disk write error ever time you wait during the order process isn't very specific. It may sound specific to you but I'm sure that the software is doing many things at this point.

I understand that you may be frustrated due to things happening during your rush times, but just coming on here and saying my Windows is perfect and that you know that's not the problem, and claiming the software is full of bugs is not a very good way to handle this. I am sure that if this were happening on a wide scale, then it would be a bug, and it would have been long ago addressed. I am not saying that this isn't happening to you, but a little calmer approach and maybe some useful information such as the exact verbiage of the error message (including the error code) would be very helpful in getting your problem resolved.

Just my .02
edembek

Post by edembek »

+1 for what h-man said. I manage several installations in my area, and none of them have had this problem.

Most data problems have happened because someone rebooted the server without logging the clients out first.

There has to be more to it? If you can replicate it over and over, then what steps are you taking? It sounds exactly like what the others told you. Data corruption. Fix your data files and it will probably subside. If left go, I know these problems tend to worsen.
Ed Dembek
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Update: I spoke with Josh on the phone today and arrived at the conclusion that it was a timeout error (error code 99). The default timeout on the database engine is roughly 2 seconds. I sent Josh a test version with the timeout bumped up to the max value on the order saving process for a test run. We will wait and see if this helps solve the problem that he is experiencing.

Scott
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by H-Man »

AND??

It has been a couple days now, did you get the problem solved?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I will let you know as soon as I hear anything.

Scott
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Boosting the Databases Timeout value seems to have solved the problems that Josh was experiencing. This was easy to figure out once I had the numeric error code returned by the software. Normally for 99% of the systems out there the 2 second timeout is great, but here it needed a little more.

We are planning on making this value changeable in future versions. This will probably be done via the INI files since this is a setting that most people will never need to mess with. Along with this we may bump our default to be 5 seconds instead of the using the standard default of 2 seconds used by the database. 5 seconds is still a reasonable amount, but could be the difference in some cases between getting an error code back or having the transaction accepted. This is due to the fact that a POS system puts a much heavier load on a database system than most other types of applications do.

Scott
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by H-Man »

So since most of us are not having any such issue, I guess that this does not pertain to us.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

H-Man wrote:So since most of us are not having any such issue, I guess that this does not pertain to us.
You are correct.

Scott
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by H-Man »

Scott wrote:Update: I spoke with Josh on the phone today and arrived at the conclusion that it was a timeout error (error code 99). The default timeout on the database engine is roughly 2 seconds. I sent Josh a test version with the timeout bumped up to the max value on the order saving process for a test run. We will wait and see if this helps solve the problem that he is experiencing.

Scott
Wow you would think that 2 seconds is more than enough time. In fact that is an eternity in computer terms. I guess it was something wrong with Windows after all because things should never take more than 2 seconds internally. What type of processors is this guy running? Probably needs a serious upgrade.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

This issue has been resolved.

-Scott