Problem

User-to-User general discussions regarding POS Pizza

Problem

Postby robertson.12 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:28 pm

I have a problem, I have one computer which has been activated and the main program is mapped to this computer. But when I click try to use the ordering taking station or the driver's console, neither program will run on this specific computer. The other computers I have work great. I am using Windows 2000. Does any one have any suggestions or ideas. I have logged onto windows using different names, tried to reboot, none of these helped. I need some HELP

Postby Scott Hack » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:30 pm

What error message are you getting?

Postby robertson.12 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:40 pm

No error message is given when clicking on the program. It acts like the program will start but then nothing.

Site Admin

Postby Scott » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:06 am

Can you run any other executables from the mapped drive? How about opening a notpad file and try saving to the remote drive. It could be that you have "read-only" rights on the remote, you need to make sure that you have full access (allow others to modify my files and folders).

Scott

Postby robertson.12 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:40 pm

I can run certain programs such as the one that looks like it would be in the kitchen for order making, but I cannot run the Drivers station or use it as an order taking station.

The drive is mapped.

Postby chrispizza » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:24 am

I had that exact problem a year or so ago. I clicked on the shortcut to the driver console, and the splash screen came up but then nothing. It was one of the most frustrating things I have dealt with. I think my problem was based on the network. For some reason, even with a networked drive to run from the computer changed my shortcuts(seemingly randomly) from a drive letter to a networked drive abbreviation. It changes to //main/pospizza fron E:/main/pospizza when it feels like it.

I finallly wrote as .bat that takes the place of a shortcut, and it works great. Email me if you are interested in the file. All it does is make sure that the shortcut is popinted to the lettered drive instead of the unlettered one thatv is the same, but was causing problems with the driver console.

Scott - This might be a good thing to implement for the whole system. My file is basically a 1 line dos executable I wrote in note pad that connects directly to POSPizza on the main computer and works better than the shortcut I had been using. I could be the only operator who is running into that problem (of having the shortcuts changed from E: to just //) but I don't think so). I used to have to just make a new short cut every 4 to 6 weeks when the old one changed itself.

Anyone else have that problem?

-Chris

Site Admin

Postby Scott » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:25 am

chrispizza wrote:I could be the only operator who is running into that problem (of having the shortcuts changed from E: to just //) but I don't think so). I used to have to just make a new short cut every 4 to 6 weeks when the old one changed itself.

Anyone else have that problem?

Windows is known to do this on occasion. Usually because it disconnects the drive mapping after a timeout passes without use, and then it does you the "courtesy" of changing your shortcut to what it thinks it should be for you. This can be frustrating, but one way to eliminate this would be to go to the DOS prompt and execute the command

net config server /autodisconnect:-1

This does not always solve the problem, but sometimes it does. I wish Windows were more consistient about things like this... :)

The Batch File solution sounds like a good one, because whenever you attempt to access an auto disconnected drive letter, Windows will reconnect it at that point. One thing about Windows however is that once you execute a Win EXE from a batch file, all other batch processing is halted until the Win EXE has finished running.

Scott

Postby chrispizza » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:15 pm

Scott wrote: One thing about Windows however is that once you execute a Win EXE from a batch file, all other batch processing is halted until the Win EXE has finished running.

Scott

I have no idea what you mean here? I know that dos prompt looking screen stays up until I exit out of my driver console at the end of the night, but if I am only running the Driver terminal is that going to affect the system at all?

That bin file is much much easier than trying to explain in Japanese how to make another shortcut so I don't want to get rid of it.

-Chris

Site Admin

Postby Scott » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:30 am

The little black DOS window won't hurt anything at all.

Scott

Return to General Information about v5