Data Backups

User-to-User general discussions regarding POS Pizza
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Data Backups

Post by Scott »

Protect Your Data!

I can't stress how important it is to do backups of your data on a regular basis. I would personally recommend doing a backup once a day to the hard drive and then once a week either burn those to a CD or move them off to a flash drive.

POS Pizza has a built-in backup facility within the Management Utility program which is very quick and easy to use. It only takes a minute or two, and will save you hours or even days worth of work later. To find the backup, go into the Management Utility and go to the File menu and choose Backup / Restore Data. Select the drive letter in the drop-down box on the right-hand side of the screen where you want to save your backup file and then click the Backup button.

You should run the backup program while all other nodes are down, at the end of the day just before running Daily Maintenance. This should become a normal part of your normal close day routine. Backup to drive C: every day and then pick 1 day a week to burn the backup files to a CD-R, and then delete them from C: once you are sure that they are readable (verify) from the CD-R.

This is really not too much work, and is well worth it when Windows decides to hickup. The Windows file system is not very robust for networking and if anything goes wrong during a transaction, you will more than likely get a corrupted record in the database (Error 9). This happens more often with older PCs but is possible with any network if the right condition exists. So please save yourself a headache and take a few minutes each day to make a data backup.

Scott
Scott Hack

Perhaps an update?

Post by Scott Hack »

Any chance of an update that would do the backup automatically, as part of the daily close routine?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I have thought about this, but more than likely people would want to disable the backup portion. This is still a possibility.

Scott
EdM

Auto Backup

Post by EdM »

Scott,

There is an auto back utility. I have it running all the time and it backs up every hour to the hard drive. It is on your downloads page.

Does this not do a complete back up then?

Cheers
mantrasia

Post by mantrasia »

Scott wrote:I have thought about this, but more than likely people would want to disable the backup portion. This is still a possibility.

Scott
i think this would be an excellent addition
Mike
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Data Backups

Post by Mike »

This is a feature since update pack #4. Grab the latest update pack (currently 6a at the time of this posting) and install it to use this feature.

-Mike