Setting up POS Pizza, changes in new version?

User-to-User general discussions regarding POS Pizza
mbergen

Setting up POS Pizza, changes in new version?

Post by mbergen »

Hi. I am helping my friend, a pizza shop owner to set up the software, which they are probably going to purchase (if they can get things set up so they like them. I read that the new version is coming out in June.

I am trying to figure out what the changes to the new software will be in case it affects how we set up the current software. In particular what changes will be to how you set up the menu items and toppings.

We are struggling right now with where to put different sizes of pizzas. If each size pizza is an item, you end up with a very long list of pizzas to choose from, but it is good because you can price toppings differently for different size pizzas, and track topping amounts used more accurately. The alternate we have thought of is putting the size under toppings, which would make things simpler if someone changes their mind about what size they want, but you can't price differently for toppings of different size pizzas, and the tracking of toppings used will be off some.

I was just wondering if there were any changes regarding how you select sizes of pizzas in the new version? If so. it may not matter so much how we set it up now, because it will be changing soon. Is there a list somewhere of new features, and/or documentation (I realize it may change) on how to use the new software, so we can take into account how things will be changing when we set this up.

Also, When we make menu changes on one computer, is there a way to copy those menu changes to a franchisee running the software, without them losing their customer and order data? At them moment when playing around with the system, we are just using the backup and restore feature, but we won't want to do that once real orders are in the system. It will be helpful, though to be able to work on a copy until we get the changes working before putting it onto the system that is actually being used.

Also, is there a way to get access to all of the newsgroups to read? Some of this may be answered in other newsgroups that I can not access because my friend doesn't own the software yet.

I do like the software really well so far. I appreciate how hard it is to design something like this, because last year I designed a microsoft access database for them to use, (though they didn't actually end up doing it) Figuring out the toppings (halves and whole especially) just about drove me crazy. You never would think it would be as hard as it is, and I've designed databases before and it's been pretty easy - the toppings make it so much more complicated. My recommendation to anyone thinking of writing something themselves - take the easy way out and buy something like this.

Thanks (Sorry for the very long email)

Meg Bergen
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The new version's menus will have a few more features, but they will in no way effect the way that you currently set it up. Sizes will not be a feature since so many people have different sizes it would be a difficult task. We will also release a conversion utility that will convert the data from the existing v4.0 files and translate it (as best as possible) into the new v5.0 format. Some things will need your attention after the conversion is complete, but this will more than likely not be anything on the menus. We realize how tricky they are and will make it as simple as possible. :)

Scott