Remote login?

General Information about POS Pizza 6 and 7
zippaz23

Remote login?

Post by zippaz23 »

Hi Scott,

In the new version, is there going to be any type of remote login capabilities?

I have two stores and every time I want to add a special or new item to POSPizza I have to physically go to both stores and do it or use a program such as logmein to access each computer over the internet. It would be less time consuming If I was able to log in the program remotely and add stuff, make changes, look at reports and transfer them to my home computer.

In a perfect world I would love to be able to have one central program/interface that would allow me to access both stores on one screen, see both stores info at the same time (# of orders, current sales, etc.) and do individual and global changes to both. Any chance of something like this being available in the future?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Remote login?

Post by Scott »

zippaz23 wrote:Hi Scott,

In the new version, is there going to be any type of remote login capabilities?
YES! The management utility program can be installed directly on your remote PC and can then present you with a list of stores (servers) to connect to, followed by a list of databases. This way one copy of the management utility on a home or remote PC can manage multiple stores. This functionality is already working really well. It will take a little knowledge of router configuring in order to allow access to your DB server from outside of the store. It may also require a service such as dynamic DNS, unless you have a static IP.

Note: This is only on the client / server version of v6. The Stand-Alone version does not have any server or client capabilities.

Scott
durbancic
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by durbancic »

I am very familiar with port forwarding, etc for routers. When I install the mng on my home pc I get 'error connecting to server'. Do I need to tell the mng console @ the store what my hope ip is to allow access? Because I can't make any changes on the home pc ent to the management console - I can't even get into it. Just a basic description and I am sure I can figure it out

Thanks
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Forward the port 54181 from the router's WAN address to your computer's internal address that is running the POS Pizza server.

On your home computer run the management utility with the /Local command parameter so that you can get into the local config (otherwise it will attempt and auto detect and fail). Go to the "Database Settings" page and Check the option "Use Selected Server & DB" and add a new server using your store's WAN (public) IP address or name (if you have dynamic DNS or static DNS).

Save this and it should create the default database of "pospizza". Highlight the POSPizza database (expand the server with the + to see it). Next on the left side of the page, check the box that says "Show Lists when starting Management Utility" and then save the local config.

Now when you restart the management utility program you should see your server's name / description in the startup list. Pick the server (and the database) and click OK. If your router is forwarding correctly you should see the user ID / Password prompt just like in local mode.

Scott

P.S. The Port above is the default port, I posted the wrong one initially and updated it on the other post.
durbancic
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by durbancic »

Ok, I got that to work, how great! When installing the profit meter I accidently typed in the wrong IP address. Is there anyway to change what IP it uses to connect to? Or can I not use profit meter from home?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

durbancic wrote:Ok, I got that to work, how great! When installing the profit meter I accidently typed in the wrong IP address. Is there anyway to change what IP it uses to connect to? Or can I not use profit meter from home?
You can go into the CS folder and edit ProfMon.ini or delete it and run the program to be prompted again.

Scott
shockley

Post by shockley »

Scott, I saw both in the docs and what you wrote here that remote login only works in the cs version. Why does it say on the main web site that all versions can have remote login then? How can I get it in the free version?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

It doesn't say all versions can have remote access. It says for the SA & LT versions Requires 3rd Party Service in the comparison table. That means it would work if you had Windows Remote Desktop activated, or some 3rd party program or service that allows you to remotely take over your PC.

With the CS version you get a true client connection, and this is different because you are *not* taking over a remote PC, you are instead running a local copy of the Management Utility program that is connecting directly to your database server via the Internet.

Scott