Accepting online order payments with X-Charge

General Information about POS Pizza 6 and 7
Wayne

Accepting online order payments with X-Charge

Post by Wayne »

We’re using POS Pizza 6 CS (1.23.00) and Online Ordering 3.1. We’d like to allow customers to pay with a credit card when they place an online order, so we setup an account with X-Charge and they installed their software (7.3.1) on our server and also our online ordering station.
The X-Charge standalone application seems to work fine for processing credit card transactions. But when we place an online order, we don’t see any option for the customer to enter payment information.

We installed the X-Charge Integration (1.11.00) and configured it through the Management Utility/Credit-Gift Card Processing. Also made sure that the Online Ordering Configuration is set to allow Customer Signups. Is there something we’ve overlooked?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Accepting online order payments with X-Charge

Post by Scott »

Presently X-Charge does not support our online ordering system. Not sure if this will change, as we have worked with them on this a few times now, but haven't been able to integrate yet.

Scott
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

I would love a PayPal button for online orders.. and use them as a proxy processor. And then we can list our mess-up pizzas on eBay and auction them off within the hour! (just kidding..)

We use X-Charge at 2 restaurants now, and have finally gotten a great per-transaction rate with them. The ChargeItPro people just called me again today, about 2 months late, trying to sucker me into giving them our business.. but I told them it's done and over with, they couldn't compete, and they're just sales people selling a product without any advantage. And also "I don't want to hear how you'll match something and 1-up whatever just to say you're better". I HATE sales & marketing people. I'm a computer geek hacker at heart.

Anyways, Yes, online payment with x-charge integration is a great big huge PLUS ONE over here. Actually, PLUS TWO, as I've setup two restaurants in town on POS PIZZA.. which makes employee training easier between shops.

Question: Can you pay online with a gift card? Erm, just thought about that. scratch that idea. Don't need some script kiddies just entering gift card numbers til they brute force and wreck stuff.

Wayne, You should be running POS Pizza version 6.81.00 and CS Server is 1.23 The server version does not change very often. It's all the Client-side stuff that's updated. The server just handles the SQL database file.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Scott,

Is ChargeItPro the only credit card processor that currently integrates with POS Pizza online ordering?
Would it make any difference if we upgrade to Online Ordering v4.0?

synpse,

Thanks for your comments. I only deal with the technical side of the business. But the folks on the financial side made the same comments about the card processor fees, which is why they selected X-Charge.

PayPal would be a viable alternative for us. Granted, not everyone has a PayPal account, but at least its an option for paying online. As it stands right now, online ordering is on hold until we have a payment solution.

And yes, we're on POS Pizza 6.81 and CS 1.23
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Is ChargeItPro the only credit card processor that currently integrates with POS Pizza online ordering?
Would it make any difference if we upgrade to Online Ordering v4.0?
ChargeItPro is still currently the only payment solution. Mercury will likely be the next solution available but only after v7 releases, due to their longer token size (the db needs to be changed first in order to accommodate this).

Unfortunately the techs at X-Charge told me that the online ordering would need to be completely re-designed to work with them as they don't offer hosted payment pages, but rather a 2 stage process that requires fancy scripts to be run from the client end. Not sure if this was valid information or not, but so far this doesn't look promising for them.

There was someone that modified the form to go to PayPal, but you will have to monitor your email for payment confirmation. There is presently no way for PayPal to notify POS Pizza that the payment was completed. That last part is the kicker with all of the online payment options. Unfortunately there is no standard way for this to be done, so a custom solution has to be built for each processor, and some just can't do it with the CGI layout of the current web ordering.

I would like to think of a good way to offer a generic CGI module to finish payments with multiple processors, but this just doesn't look doable as they all use different methods of notifying. It may be that we will have to use an XML POST API, so that other middle-ware like PHP can be used to finish the process with these other providers. This is something that is being looked into, but would require additional programming by the end user to setup their processor. There is no simple solution since security is a BIG factor at this point, because you don't want to customers to be able to find a way to just mark their orders as paid. So a simple URL is a big no no.

---

Web ordering 4.0's biggest change was the introduction of the remote order submission API. This API can be used by external ordering providers, or custom PHP (or other) developers to send order and customer data directly to POS Pizza. We currently are working with one provider to help them be able to offer a solution for POS Pizza users.

Scott
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Hmm, I used to run an E-Commerce site, Zen Cart, which used PayPal to accept the payment, and then kick the verification code back to the website once the payment was complete. I have another website that I have to update the paypal/zencart code. So, while I'm doing that, I'll also look into the POSPizza Online ordering, and see if I can find the similarities of the PayPal IPN.

I'm a bit rusty on all of this, as it has been about 5 years since for the ZenCart stuff. And I don't have any online ordering going for POS Pizza, yet.