Online Ordering Demo Site!

General Information about POS Pizza 6 and 7
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Online Ordering Demo Site!

Post by Scott »

The new online ordering demo site is officially open for your viewing pleasure. This is the standard mobile (cheese theme) that ships with the online ordering package. More templates will eventually become available in time, as well as new features. This new platform is using Apache for Windows v2.2 and running CGI based modules to communicate with the POS Pizza database server. Menus are all in real-time and come directly from the POS Pizza 6 database. In other words, if you were to add an item (to an online category), or change a price, that change would take effect immediately on the web site!

The orders also come into your system in real-time. When the customer processes their cart, your kitchen printers and screens will have the order just as it was keyed in at your front counter system. For an overview of the features visit: www.xyzpizza.com.

To try the system out click on the picture below.

This is now available for downloading for POS Pizza 6 [CS] users!

Scott
Fat Tonys

Re: Online Ordering 2.0 Demo Site!

Post by Fat Tonys »

Fantastic! I can't wait for the release. That looks very nice! I really like the ability to let the customers save favorites.
vitospizza

Post by vitospizza »

It is asking for a phone and a password, so I can't get in.
JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

vitospizza wrote:It is asking for a phone and a password, so I can't get in.
@vitospizza,

You can click the "signup" button on the log in page to create a test customer account and then play around with the website. The test customer account that you create will not be used for anything but you playing around with this test online ordering website.

- John
sauce

Post by sauce »

Will it work with the LT version? I think that I know the answer already but it can't hurt to ask.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

sauce wrote:Will it work with the LT version? I think that I know the answer already but it can't hurt to ask.
No, it only works with the CS version. Web ordering requires a database server, and the only version of POS Pizza that has that is the CS version.

Scott
michaelwu

Post by michaelwu »

Wow!
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by H-Man »

This one blows the doors off of the previous edition. Nice work guys!
nogginns

Post by nogginns »

I was waiting to see what this looks like, and then the very first page that I see highly disappoints. Why on earth would you ever want a customer to log on to a pizza ordering site??? It's not Amazon for crying out loud, it's just a site to order pizza. Do you see any of the other major players making you log in? No, because it would be silly. Please explain the logic behind this one. I didn't even go any further once I saw that and I feel that many customers are going to feel the same way.
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by H-Man »

nogginns wrote:I was waiting to see what this looks like, and then the very first page that I see highly disappoints. Why on earth would you ever want a customer to log on to a pizza ordering site??? It's not Amazon for crying out loud, it's just a site to order pizza. Do you see any of the other major players making you log in? No, because it would be silly. Please explain the logic behind this one. I didn't even go any further once I saw that and I feel that many customers are going to feel the same way.
First off, I thought you were done with this software when Summit wouldn't set it up for free for you, and come train your employees.

Second, there is nothing wrong with having to log on first. The web site allows customers to save and recall their favorite orders for one thing, and I don't think that could be done unless you know who is using the site.

Third, You should try learning some manners. You come off as a petulant child when you write your rants. I'm beginning to believe that you are a troll coming here to cause trouble, and not even a real pizzeria operator. If you treat your employees the way that you act here, I feel for them. Try learning some respect, and wording things in a 'nicer' way. You may be surprised at how people respond back to you.
JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

nogginns wrote:Please explain the logic behind this one. I didn't even go any further once I saw that and I feel that many customers are going to feel the same way.
- Getting a user to login gives the business the ability to create an account for them.
- Because of this, MY customers can save their favorite orders and quickly access them for easier ordering
- Customers can view their order history
- I can get detailed reports for online ordering breakdowns and activity
- I can acquire customer information that I previously didn't have

I recommend creating a dummy account and walking through the website for a while. It will convince you that this is pretty great product.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

nogginns wrote:Why on earth would you ever want a customer to log on to a pizza ordering site?
You need information in order to process the order. Minimally you only need a phone number, but should in addition to this require a password. If you are taking a "delivery" order, then you also need a delivery address. Sure you could have the customer type this in each time, but that seems like added work for no reason.

The old online ordering system asked for a phone and password at the end when the customer was submitting their order. This brings with it some limitations. For example, you can't show the delivery fee until the order is posted because you don't know who's on the other end, and where they're located.

We had many requests for a system that would require that the customer signed in first, and then allow them to create their order once they have logged on.

By having the customer login first, you get the added features that others here have already mentioned like favorite orders, keeping the site 99% operational even during "Closed" hours, etc. The old site kept the cart as a cookie on the customer's computer, since we didn't know who they were, and it would expire shortly after they left the site. If the site was closed, it would simply tell them "sorry we're closed, come back later" or something to that effect. With a customer being logged in, you can save their cart until they submit it or change it, as well as allow them to navigate the site while it is closed (because you can save their cart). You can also do things like disable the delivery button if they are out of the area, and show them the actual delivery fee in their cart (based on their area). You can't do all of these things without first knowing who your customer is.

Whenever a product or service is released, it won't be for everybody. If this product doesn't meet everyone's needs or expectations, that is to be expected. One size can't possibly fit all. We go for what fits the largest segment of our customer base, and I believe we're getting well within the ballpark. If you have some suggestions I'd be happy to hear them. Obviously we can't do certain things because of the technical aspects a web-based system, but we have many plans to enhance and expand this product in the near and distant future.

You really should consider logging in and checking it out. Your opinion may change. ;)

Scott
Pizza Dude

Post by Pizza Dude »

sauce wrote:Will it work with the LT version? I think that I know the answer already but it can't hurt to ask.
You can use an online ordering service like menudrive with the LT version. A friend and I might start our own online service if we can get enough interest.
nogginns

Post by nogginns »

@H-Man I hope that you don't work for Summit, because if you do you need to learn that the customer is always right. Show me one online ordering site for pizzas that makes you log on first! I'm just saying that this isn't the way it should be. Chill the heck out and maybe take some of your own advice.

@Scott can the logins be shut off? Is this a configurable option at least? If not, then there's my suggestion to you as requested.
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by H-Man »

nogginns wrote:@H-Man I hope that you don't work for Summit, because if you do you need to learn that the customer is always right. Show me one online ordering site for pizzas that makes you log on first! I'm just saying that this isn't the way it should be. Chill the heck out and maybe take some of your own advice.
Um, you have to buy something to be a customer. No, I don't work for Summit. I *AM* a customer of Summit's. it's my dinner rush and I don't have time for you right now.

Finding online ordering sites where you have to login isn't a hard thing to do either. Remember, google is your friend. :roll:
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

nogginns wrote:@Scott can the logins be shut off? Is this a configurable option at least? If not, then there's my suggestion to you as requested.
No they can't be shut off because they would break a lot of the internal features of this online ordering server. It was designed from the start to have the customer information available while navigating all of the pages within.

Scott
JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

Services like menudrive will work with the LT version. I would do a quick cost analysis before you sign up for one of those services. If you upgraded to CS version of POS Pizza and used the new Online Ordering 2.0, you would have more control over any changes that you need to make (scheduling, pricing, new items), avoid monthly fees and additional fees, and you are integrated directly into the POS system. So online orders are processed just like in store orders.

Paying for a service for a year would probably be comparable cost to upgrading to CS and Online Ordering. So you could essentially get all the features within the CS version and integrated online ordering capabilities.

Just food for thought.
naalo

Post by naalo »

It looks awesome, does this work for the full version of POS Pizza 5.6?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

naalo wrote:It looks awesome, does this work for the full version of POS Pizza 5.6?
Online Ordering only works with POS Pizza 6 [CS] since it has the required database server that is used by the online ordering system.

Scott
ttomeny

Post by ttomeny »

As a brand new user, I agree that making a customer sign up first is a less than optimal feature. Many sites face this dilemma by offering two user paths, one for those who have log ins and one for everyone else. The huge advantage is that you are much more likely to get a sign up after they have invested time in placing their order than before, when they are just a click away from Domino's, Pizza Hut, or Papa John's, sites that offer pizza without forcing a sign up right away.

All the airlines pretty much work this way. You can research flights and then not log in until later. Then your reservation is moved to your account. If not they collect information and then give you the chance to convert it to an account.
bambinou

Post by bambinou »

Hi ,

I am having a problem with the online website version, I cannot create an account as my details are from EU.
For example my phone number won't be taken, my post code aswell, is there a way to change this from the admin interface?
Is there also a way to get people not to signup while ordering as people like fast online ordering.

Thank you,

Ben
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Phone number formatting comes from the settings within the Management Utility. When US/Canada phone formatting is enabled, then that type of phone number will be enforced. Otherwise any length or type of phone number is accepted as long as the numbers are unique from other users.

The post code field can be changed via the HTML. Right now it is set to number, so that's what it will allow. Changing it to text will cause it to allow any type of data.

There may be a way to view the menus without logging on added in the future, but there won't really be a cart that customers can add to without having an associated log on. You can use a cookie, but this is becoming more and more frowned upon by security/privacy minded people, and cookies are now disabled in many cases by default. This is an area that is currently being examined.

Scott
bambinou

Post by bambinou »

Thank you for the reply Scott, much appreciated.

Ben
FMPIZZA

Re: Online Ordering Demo Site!

Post by FMPIZZA »

Hi Scott

I'm trying to use the demo but get an error like 'Phone number not valid'?

Can we configure online ordering to not require logging in / signing up until the end? ie be able to peruse the menu first?

I can't find the 'download module' for Online Ordering?

What happens if a customer comes in store and we create an account, some weeks later they go to order online and create a new account? Do we do a 'scan/report' on a semi-regular basis for duplicate accounts and merge accounts? Are there any other issues with that?

Thanks.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Online Ordering Demo Site!

Post by Scott »

FMPIZZA wrote:I'm trying to use the demo but get an error like 'Phone number not valid'?
The phone number used can't be a toll free number nor can it start with a 0 or 1. Use any number that don't match these, and it should work fine.
Can we configure online ordering to not require logging in / signing up until the end? ie be able to peruse the menu first?
You can setup and display menus for your customers, but the customer won't actually start being able to add items to the cart until they are logged in. This is because the cart is saved in their account rather than cookies in their local browser, like many sites do. Certain cookies are now frowned upon, and some browsers even prevent them. We used to do this, and had problems with many browsers. This also allows the customer to start an order on one device, and complete it on another without having to start over. Additionally the customer can save two custom sets of "favorite" orders with their account. This allows them to order what they order regularly with as little as 2 clicks after they have logged in.
I can't find the 'download module' for Online Ordering?
The online ordering requires the CS version, so it wouldn't work as a stand-alone online ordering system. All of the menu and customer data is shared with POS Pizza, so the database server is needed by the module in order to share this data. I can provide a full demo of the CS version along with online ordering if you would like. Contact me via email or telephone if you would like to try out a demo version.
What happens if a customer comes in store and we create an account, some weeks later they go to order online and create a new account? Do we do a 'scan/report' on a semi-regular basis for duplicate accounts and merge accounts? Are there any other issues with that?
If you have a customer in-store, and then they sign up online, they will be put into the same account provided that the phone number used was the same as the one provided when their account was created in-store. If not, then we have a customer merge utility included that can quickly find duplicate accounts and merge them into one. This tool was created because people typically have many different phone numbers for their family members, and themselves. The merge tool allows you to quickly identify duplicates, and it will merge all of the associated purchases, credits, and phone numbers into a single customer account on your system.

There are also tools to purge by customers who signed up online, as well as reports for online signups, and purchases.

Scott