Gift cards

General Information about POS Pizza 6 and 7
marquette

Gift cards

Post by marquette »

I enabled internal gift cards today, and when I go into the main module the gift cards button is now turned on, but it says gift cards are temporarily sold out. Do I need to put them in my inventory or something? How do I get rid of this message?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gift cards

Post by Scott »

Go to Configure and then "Gift Card Setup". Setup available denominations here, and the type of cards that you will be using. Next use either the "Manage Cards" button from here, or go to the Utility menu and use the bulk gift card tool to add your cards that you will be selling. Once this is done, you can add a gift card purchase to an order by using the Gift Card button on the order-entry screen.

Gift cards are sold with variable amounts so any card can be activated for any amount. It is not recommended to print an amount on your cards, unless they are complimentary cards.

See Page 63 in the POS Pizza Managers Docs for full details on gift card setup.

Scott
marquette

Post by marquette »

Ok, that makes sense. I was figuring that I had to do something like that. I wasn't sure where to put the cards in though, but now it makes sense. I'll have a look at the docs too. Thanks.
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

What's a good and inexpensive solution for gift cards?

Can I just number the paper gift certs we have, and enter an amount for it?
durbancic
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by durbancic »

Yeah, you can do that-it's what we did last year. Although in the future I would like to look into releasable gift cards. They probably aren't too much more that a professionally printed one on card stock
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

What are the steps to setting up gift cards and numbers? Like.. In a way that I can explain to the waitresses so they do it right. And then how do we enter them as a payment method? thanx!
durbancic
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by durbancic »

See Scotts post above, that explains just how it is done.
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by H-Man »

Also see this document http://www.pospizza.net/docs/mgr6x.pdf on page 63.
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Ah yeah. Sorry for the silly question.

I meant to ask a real question instead.. Is it possible to do a gift certificate for a "Large Pizza, unlimited toppings" ? Or some other menu item like that..

I traded some pizzas for some computer hardware :)
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

.....nevermind.... did the required reading and the "give away" gift card part works.. and i just put a high enough dollar amount to cover it.. and we're all good!

So... now I gotta show them how to sell gift cards properly, setup a numbering system, and account for everything!
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

So we have a bunch of gift cards printed up... Here's what I'm seeing. Please correct me if I'm wrong about the general idea..

Customer walks in.. says "I want to buy a giftcard for $60"

Cashier then enters an order. Dine in or Carry out??? :)

They click the "GIFT CARD" button. Then.... ????????

Customer has a giftcard with a number on it, and paid us the money, and walks away happy.

New customer walks in with gift card. Goes to pay with that card. We choose payment type "GIFT CARD" and enter the number. Then either we write the remaining balance on that gift card, or they pay some more to cover their ticket.

Yes? No? Comments?

I don't have the USB Key to play with the full version at home.. So I'm going by what I remember from being at work today.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

That is correct for the most part.

Once a gift card is purchased in some denomination, it is next activated and then can be used for purchases.

Each time the card is used, the transaction is recorded and balance adjusted automatically. The gift card balance will print on the customer receipt during each transaction. You can also check the balance from the main POS module at any time.

Scott
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Do they have to be pre-set amounts?

Customers tend to just want whatever amount they want, and expect us to write it out and take the cash.

So far I've been doing "expiring cards" and doing it that way. But is there a way for the cashier to add the gift card to an order, and enter the number, then put the amount on?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

synpse wrote:Do they have to be pre-set amounts?

Customers tend to just want whatever amount they want, and expect us to write it out and take the cash.

So far I've been doing "expiring cards" and doing it that way. But is there a way for the cashier to add the gift card to an order, and enter the number, then put the amount on?
The managers cards are set to a fixed amount when they're created. The purchasable cards are purchased in whatever denominations (up to 5) that you configure.

If you mean a card where you make up an amount on the spot (that's different than the salable amounts) then no. You could use the customer accounts for this if you really want it. You can pre-pay a customer's account and then that customer has that much credit to spend on future purchases. This is different than a gift card because it is tied to a single customer instead of a card. One customer can even purchase credit for another customer. To redeem customer account money, the cashier must pay attention and select "account payment" from the payment screen. It won't let a customer account go into the negative unless you have setup that customer to allow that ahead of time.

Scott