pos 6.81 not backing up

General Discussions
cranbrook241

pos 6.81 not backing up

Post by cranbrook241 »

Hi .. I have been tweaking my menu to get ready for online ordering. last night I wanted to back up all the changes to my stick , but it wouldn't.
when I closed the db server down it came up with a nag saying "unable to delete the temp folder Error=path not found"
any ideas? when I click save .. nothing happens Thanks.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: pos 6.81 not backing up

Post by Scott »

You can download and install the latest database server for starters. But for now, when you get that message, leave the server stopped, exit the admin tool completely, then re launch the admin tool. It should work this way, but you should probably be on server version 1.23 or newer.

Scott
cranbrook241

Post by cranbrook241 »

only can find ver 1.21 in the v6 file repository .. will keep looking around
cranbrook241

Post by cranbrook241 »

sorry .. yes installed 1.23 .. didn't get the nag .. but no response when I click save . :(
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Stating the obvious here, but did you type in a file name before clicking save? I know that it won't respond if no file name is typed in to the file name field.

Scott
cranbrook241

Post by cranbrook241 »

thanks scott ... whatever was happening , I did a fresh start up today and got a back up!
di I read somewhere that you can set auto back up on this? can I leave an external harddrive on and let it do its thing?
if yes .. whats the name of the program please . .. Thanks for the fast support .
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

There are lots of ways to automate the backup. Some people have been using online backups, and you could probably even use the windows scheduler and the built in windows backup program to accomplish this. There are also 3rd party programs like Acronis that can do this too.

The trick is, that you want to do your backups when no one is using the system. So at a time like 3:00 AM might work for most people. This way the clients have all gone idle, and the database won't be being used. This is the safest time to get a backup without having to worry about the file being in a "partially updated" state during the backup. If you backup while the system is fully in use, the file could be in transition, which wouldn't be good when you went to restore that file later.

You only need to backup the files ending in .PZ6 from the Server folder. The other files will all be installed by the installer, should you need to reinstall the system. The .PZ6 files are the database files. Usually there is only one called pospizza.PZ6, unless you have created others for a multiple database setup, or created a training database. These databases contain all of your setup data, global settings, customers, menus, employees, streets, etc. This is the part that is important to protect. The program files themselves can always be downloaded again if need be.

Scott