Cash Drawer - Wont kick correctly

General Discussions
Mikeys

Cash Drawer - Wont kick correctly

Post by Mikeys »

Hello,

I'm trying to help my friend move from a cash register to the POS here.. I've went through, created the menus, tested, etc. We'll be looking to move to a second entry screen once we start turning profit etc. (been open a week.) However, I'm running into some issues getting the cash drawer to kick correctly.

Lets start at the top.. We purchased the following combo: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271634420666?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Basically a non-descript printer/cash drawer.

I tried generic print drivers, and while it would print, I could not get the cash drawer to kick. I installed the print driver sent to me with the printer.. I was able to set the print driver to kick the drawer when the printer began to print with this driver.. I verified this by printing a test page, boom, drawer kicks. Cool!

I check my settings in the management utility (using right driver, cash drawer through printer, etc.) and open the program.. Try the open drawer command, no dice. Try to reprint a test receipt, no dice. Change the printer from POS/ESP generic to all other available settings.. When setting to Graphical 8.5 x 11 the cash drawer kicks when doing receipt reprint.. No other printing option though. I could live with that, *if* the graphical printer printed a receipt, but instead prints.. well.. an 8th of a 8.5x11 receipt.

Can you please tell me how to get this cash drawer kicking? I can take screen shots, pictures, etc. We can't use the POS until this is done so it's kind of aggravating and we can't afford premium support. Just.. not sure what's going on here.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cash Drawer - Wont kick correctly

Post by Scott »

I would try the Epson printer settings (TM-U2xx or TM-88) for starters. Many off-brand devices try to stay Epson compatible. There is no guarantee here, but that would be a good starting point.

If that fails, you may need to contact the manufacturer or find a reference or programming manual for your specific hardware, mainly the printer since it is what the codes are sent to. You will need to get the ASCII codes that are required in order to trigger the drawer. These can be in HEX, or ASCII, but will need to be converted to ASCII values (0 to 255) for POS Pizza and then entered in each inside of a set of squiggly braces. For example if a trigger code was ESC + BEL, that would translate to {27}{7} within POS Pizza.

Also, the graphical print mode prints as a standard windows print job. This means that in your print driver there is likely an option to trigger drawer before job, after job, or by code. It needs to be selected to trigger on the escape sequence and *not* on the print job. The drawer should be able to be opened independently of the printer printing a ticket. Go into the printer driver settings and adjust this.

Scott
Fat Tonys

Re: Cash Drawer - Wont kick correctly

Post by Fat Tonys »

I made this same exact mistake of buying a knockoff brand printer and cash drawer. I fought with it for almost 3 weeks straight before finally returning it and buying an epson tm88 and mmf cash drawer. I won't ever make that mistake again. It was $50 cheaper, but cost me $100s in lost time and frustration.