Great back option for PZ6 database file.

General Discussions
cici235

Great back option for PZ6 database file.

Post by cici235 »

I have been using both Idrive and Mozy for backing up my POSPizza database file. Mozy does it up to 12 times a day. Great except I hate the interface (especially the restore procedure). Idrive has been better but at one of my locations it has stopped working on a consistent basis.

Many products (especially cloud based products) just don't work with open or live files. I believe I have a much better solution. I use a product called Synchredible from ASComp https://www.ascomp.de/en/shop. It's fairly inexensive and the license does include up to 3-10 PC's. You also need an add on called "Synchredible - Add-On ExclusiveFiles". This add on is what makes this product so different from other products. I choose what folder to sync, then choose a destination folder or drive and it sync's the folder's to the new location. What makes this product so great is that my destination folder is a Cloud folder like DropBox (I use Box.net). Everyday now I can look at my Box folder at home and see if the files have been updated.

My Server is about as slow as you can get (atom based) and we see no ill effects syncing the folders about every 30 minutes. My next step is to sync the files over the network to the second POS register. In the event register one/server fails, all I need to do is change the dongle to the second PC/POS register and start the server (at least in theory).

All this with with very few transaction lost.
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Great back option for PZ6 database file.

Post by synpse »

That's a great idea for the 30 minute backup time! I've got Google Drive setup for daily sync's. Sure, it's not encrypted, but nothing (like cc numbers) are stored in the database (right?!) And with the POS Pizza software, the CS version is very flexible! just grab the USB dongle to swap servers. Load it & launch it, you're up and running in minutes.

Thanks for sharing the idea!

EDIT: I've done server/POS computer swaps before, remember the X-Charge software backup/install/restore stuff, too. That took me a lot longer than the POS Pizza stuff.
crwheelr

Re: Great back option for PZ6 database file.

Post by crwheelr »

that is a very eloquent solution.

I have a super inexpensive one that I use.

I simply wrote a windows batch file and scheduled it to run daily.
It copies the POSPizza database file and some other files I want to a thumb drive that is plugged into a front USB port. ( its attached to my key chain so I always have it).

every day when I come I plug in the Keys and when I leave I have updated POSP file. note I also append the date to the file name in the script so I have a running archive.

..regis
Pizza Bello