Trying to gauge if switching POS systems is doable

General Discussions
jawnskeel

Trying to gauge if switching POS systems is doable

Post by jawnskeel »

Hey all,

Our POS computer crashed recently. Previous owner of the pizzeria had set it up. We're apparently out of "activations" and they want us to buy a whole new license to use their software again. Complete bull in my opinion. I read about the dongle authentication solution which makes perfect sense. I also like that you can add multiple terminals for a reduced licensing fee (reduced from the full stand-alone version) and your stand alone version can be switched to CS (what does this stand for?) version to ensure compatibility. I also love the support forums, especially with the moderator Scott being so active. There's nothing like being able to ask a question to many people and having all of these already asked questions that have been answered to look through.

I have a few issues though:
1. No hardware setup support. We have our own hardware already installed and which was previously working. But with the new computer, it's going to take some set-up. However, from what I understand, there is no support for this. Are there at least instructions somewhere for help installing these things (the digital readout for customers, 2 epson tm-220u printers, 1 epson tm-88iv thermal printer, and a cash drawer). I'm good with computers, but I've never really dealt with printers connected via parallel ports or serial ports.

2. I tested the lite version but without a touch screen and order entry seemed a little too manual. For example I would select an item, have to click "add" in a window that would pop up, then close that window then open it again to add an item, with no immediate page update to show me that an item was entered. It could be that I'm just used to a different system.

After typing out item #2, I think I should attempt to install the lite version with printers and readouts to see if it is compatible.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trying to gauge if switching POS systems is doable

Post by Scott »

Hello,

CS stands for Client/Server which is the architecture that our multi-user version of the POS uses. It uses pure TCP/IP to transmit and receive data from the database server, and does not require any drive sharing or mapping.

You do get a 3-hour time block with your purchase, and if your printers can print a test page then half the battle is won. Serial printers are a bit trickier to setup than parallel or USB. Those usually just work with little or no fuss. We can assist you to a point, but if there are underlying problems with the network or device drivers, etc, then we would recommend that you hire someone to come on site and fix those issues. This is better than wasting your support time all trying to install a network driver or something. If everything is working correctly, the setup is normally pretty quick. Inputting the menu data is what takes the longest. It is not hard, just time consuming. We have some instructional videos on the topic, and we do offer the use of some independent contractors to set the menu up for you (at a cost).

The add items screen can either be set to "stay open" when you double-click an item, or it can close each time. This is a configurable setting. If it stays open, the item count will increase at the bottom left of this window with each new item added to the order. If it closes each time, then you will see the item list for the order modified each time you add a new item. This setting is really a matter of personal preference. You can find the setting by visiting the Management Utility program and selecting File -> Main POS Module Setup, and then either checking or unchecking the item on the bottom-right of the window labeled Double-Click on Add Item Closes Window and then saving.

If you make a setting change like this, you should completely exit the POS module and then re run it from the Windows desktop so that the new setting takes effect immediately. Otherwise it may take up to 10 minutes for the Main POS to refresh its settings. It is always best to make configuration changes by directly running the Management util from the desktop and stopping the POS stations, and then re running them after the change has been made.

*The free version does not support Poll displays, but the full versions do.

Scott
jawnskeel

Post by jawnskeel »

Thanks for the splendid reply Scott. I'll be ordering the software tomorrow afternoon I believe.

Just another question about the client server version. Does the server have the ability to be a POS station as well?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

jawnskeel wrote:Does the server have the ability to be a POS station as well?
Yes the server is a small windows service app that can run on any Windows PC, so the client and server portions can both run on the same computer if needed.

Scott
supremospizzeria

Post by supremospizzeria »

It really is a nice system. It may seem plain at first but there are TONS of features, most our unused by us, but if you take the time to setup the costs of everything, for example, the profit monitoring tool could really be a great asset. From my time comparing POS systems for another business, POS Pizza really has most of the bells and whistles at a great price. You won't be disappointed. Plus Scott is very knowledgeable and has always responded promptly to any programming issue I may have encountered.
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

Much better than.. that Adello software, that runs out of activations. You're dealing with a small business, instead of some nameless-faceless-blameless corporate setup. Plus, things just seem to work properly, once configured. And there are plenty other users who will chime in with their solutions to problems, too.