Fed Up

General Discussions
LunaPizza

Fed Up

Post by LunaPizza »

Hello there. I have been using another POS from another company and my PC recently crashed. They will not give me another license to put on my new computer since they can't remove it from my old one. The old ones hard drive completely crashed, so this would be a bit impossible. So in other words, they expect me to buy a new license for their garbage software. This is not going to happen, so I am now looking for other solutions.

Before I purchase another solution though, I want to find out what the policy is on transferring a license. What happens with your POS system if our hard drive crashes? Can we get a transfer of the license? Even if a small fee is involved I can understand, but to have to purchase an entire license is just plain ridiculous!

Please help! I have downloaded your free version and will take a look at it this week when I get some time.
H-Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Fed Up

Post by H-Man »

Summit's POS Pizza uses a USB key for the license. Just unplug it from the crashed computer, and plug it into your new one, and viola! You're back up and running and hoping that you have a good backup of your data handy.

And you don't even need to involve Summit support for this process. 8)
LunaPizza

Post by LunaPizza »

So is there one of these for every computer in a network? Can you use them at other stores or do you have to pay extra for that?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

POS Pizza uses a hardware dongle for its license. This is a USB device that plugs into the server computer only. The clients obtain their license through the network, so you can swap out clients as often as needed. The clients only use the license while they are attached to the server. Only the main order entry module, and the online ordering module use licensed connections. Managers stations, driver dispatch and make screens can all attach to the server without using a licensed connection. The soon-to-be dine-in module will also use a licensed connection when it becomes available. Basically, any module that can create or manage orders, requires a licensed connection to the server. All others do not.

Swapping the server out would require unplugging the dongle, and moving it to the new server.

There would only be 1 dongle per location, so moving stations from one store to another will work, but not change the license counts at either location, since these are stored on the dongle and managed by the server.

Stand-Alone versions use the dongle directly on a single PC.

Scott
synpse
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by synpse »

I updated our main POS/server computer the other day. Total swap time (pre-installed software on new computer) was about 15 minutes. But that's because it took forever to find the "restore" button for the xcharge backup